Jul 5, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
Per Eduardo Encino of the Baltimore Sun, the Cubs wanted middle infielder Jonathan Schoop and left-handed pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez from the Orioles for starter Matt Garza. Schoop rated as the organization’s #3 prospect and Rodriguez #5 according to Baseball America at the end of October last year.
Garza missed about nine starts to begin the 2013 season due to a strained right latissimus dorsi. Since making his season debut on May 21, however, he has pitched quite well, posting a 3.45 ERA over 57.1 innings. The Cubs, however, are 15.5 games out of first place and Garza is a free agent after the season, making it very likely that the right-hander is wearing a different uniform before the trade deadline on July 31. The Orioles, at 48-38, are only 4.5 games out of first place in the AL East and are otherwise in a good spot to make a run at one of the two Wild Card spots. Their starting rotation is in need of an upgrade as five of ten pitchers to have made at least five starts this season have posted a 5.00 ERA or worse.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)