Jul 5, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
Marlins starter Ricky Nolasco is putting up his best numbers since 2008. Through 18 starts, the right-hander has a 3.85 ERA and is averaging 3.6 strikeouts for every one walk, his highest rate since 2010. As the 30-year-old is a free agent after the season and the Marlins are headed nowhere, Nolasco was expected to be a hot commodity leading up to the July 31 trade deadline.
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins have already received offers from both the Dodgers and the Giants.
At least two offers are on the table for Marlins right-hander Ricky Nolasco.
According to a league source familiar with the talks, the Dodgers are offering a pitching prospect and are also willing to assume the remaining nearly $5.7 million Nolasco will make this season.
The Giants are said to be the other club, offering two pitching prospects. But San Francisco is looking for Miami to assume at least a portion of what is left on the right-hander’s contract.
Though both teams are below .500, the 40-44 Dodgers are only 3.5 games out of first place in the NL West while the 39-45 Giants are 4.5 games out, so a mid-season addition such as Nolasco could be just what the doctor ordered.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)