Jul 6, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star brings word that Alex Gordon is back in the starting lineup this afternoon against the Athletics, just three days after he banged into the left field fence at Kauffman Stadium while making an awkward attempt at a catch.
Gordon was being monitored for a possible concussion, but MLB cleared him to return after he passed all tests. While he suffered a “substantial butt bruise” as a result of the play, he’s going to try to give it a go.
Gordon, 29, is batting .292/.351/.426 with eight home runs and 46 RBI in 81 games this season. He leads the Royals in hits and total bases.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12