Jul 6, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star brings word that Alex Gordon is back in the starting lineup this afternoon against the Athletics, just three days after he banged into the left field fence at Kauffman Stadium while making an awkward attempt at a catch.
Gordon was being monitored for a possible concussion, but MLB cleared him to return after he passed all tests. While he suffered a “substantial butt bruise” as a result of the play, he’s going to try to give it a go.
Gordon, 29, is batting .292/.351/.426 with eight home runs and 46 RBI in 81 games this season. He leads the Royals in hits and total bases.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (96)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)