Jul 6, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks were back home last night for the first time since 19 firefighters lost their lives while battling a wildfire in Yarnell, Arizona last Sunday. For their game against the Rockies, the team paid tribute to the fallen firefighters by wearing special black jerseys with a “19” patch on the front. They also had a No. 19 behind the plate.
Below is a video of the pre-game ceremony honoring those who lost their lives:
Both teams also wore Prescott Fire Department hats during batting practice. Tyler Emerick of MLB.com notes that the Diamondbacks have petitioned to wear the hats during this weekend’s series. It’s unclear whether MLB will allow them to do it.
The Diamondbacks are already involved in a number of fundraising efforts for the families of the victims. They recently matched $100,000 in contributions from fans via Diamondbacks.com and pledge to match $100,000 more. They are also auctioning off autographed black jerseys from this weekend and signed nameplates from the team’s clubhouse. You can check that out here.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 120
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (122)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)