Jul 6, 2013, 7:50 PM EST
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly caught the Giants batting out of order in the bottom of the first inning this evening. Ken Rosenthal tweeted the details:
#SFGiants bat out of order. Posey called out after hitting RBI double. Sandoval 3rd, Posey 4th on official card. Posey up again, flies out.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 6, 2013
The run was taken off the board, in case it wasn’t clear.
Retrosheet has a great list of times teams have batted out of order in the past. It happens less often than you’d expect. Or at least less often than this writer, who can’t keep the days of the week aligned, would have expected.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 45
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 20
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)