Jul 6, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Per MLB’s Twitter: the Ricky Nolasco deal is official. The Marlins have traded their right-handed starter to the Dodgers for prospects Steve Ames, Josh Wall, and and Angel Sanchez. None of the three made Baseball America’s top-ten list for the Dodgers organization entering the season. The Dodgers are assuming the rest of Nolasco’s remaining salary, about $5.7 million, for the 2013 season. Scott Miller of CBS Sports also reports that the Dodgers get $197,000 in international cap space with slot 96.
The acquisition of Nolasco puts the Dodgers in a good position to make a run at the NL West title. The Diamondbacks, at 45-41, lead the division and even the last place Giants at 39-46 are only 5.5 games behind, so it’s quite an open field. Over the next three and a half weeks, the Dodgers could still consider making more moves. They have been linked to Chase Utley of the Phillies and they could now go after an outfielder after Matt Kemp hurt his shoulder last night.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)