Jul 6, 2013, 9:35 PM EST
Per MLB’s Twitter: the Ricky Nolasco deal is official. The Marlins have traded their right-handed starter to the Dodgers for prospects Steve Ames, Josh Wall, and and Angel Sanchez. None of the three made Baseball America’s top-ten list for the Dodgers organization entering the season. The Dodgers are assuming the rest of Nolasco’s remaining salary, about $5.7 million, for the 2013 season. Scott Miller of CBS Sports also reports that the Dodgers get $197,000 in international cap space with slot 96.
The acquisition of Nolasco puts the Dodgers in a good position to make a run at the NL West title. The Diamondbacks, at 45-41, lead the division and even the last place Giants at 39-46 are only 5.5 games behind, so it’s quite an open field. Over the next three and a half weeks, the Dodgers could still consider making more moves. They have been linked to Chase Utley of the Phillies and they could now go after an outfielder after Matt Kemp hurt his shoulder last night.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)