Jul 6, 2013, 10:05 AM EDT
Adenhart was killed by a drunk driver just hours after he pitched six scoreless innings for the Angels on April 8, 2009. He was just 22 years old. Two of his friends also died in the crash.
Weaver honors Adenhart’s memory before each of his starts by writing the initials “NA” into the dirt on the back of the mound.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 8
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 59
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 29
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)