Jul 6, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard, dealing with an ailing knee for quite some time, has at long last been placed on the disabled list. To fill his vacant space on the 25-man roster, the Phillies have recalled Darin Ruf from Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Both pieces of news come via Matt Gelb on Twitter. Ruf is expected to join the team at some point during the game tonight, and as a result, Laynce Nix will get the start at first base tonight against Braves starter Tim Hudson.
Howard hit a home run yesterday but was visibly struggling to move, both while circling the bases and while playing at first base and it has been an ongoing problem all season long. Nevertheless, he has hit well at times and is overall comfortably above the league average with a .784 OPS.
Ruf, after leading the Eastern League (Double-A) with 38 home runs last season, has struggled for most of the 2013 season in Triple-A. He has hit just seven home runs and posted a .752 OPS. His last home run came on June 19 against the Toledo Mud Hens.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)