Jul 6, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard, dealing with an ailing knee for quite some time, has at long last been placed on the disabled list. To fill his vacant space on the 25-man roster, the Phillies have recalled Darin Ruf from Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Both pieces of news come via Matt Gelb on Twitter. Ruf is expected to join the team at some point during the game tonight, and as a result, Laynce Nix will get the start at first base tonight against Braves starter Tim Hudson.
Howard hit a home run yesterday but was visibly struggling to move, both while circling the bases and while playing at first base and it has been an ongoing problem all season long. Nevertheless, he has hit well at times and is overall comfortably above the league average with a .784 OPS.
Ruf, after leading the Eastern League (Double-A) with 38 home runs last season, has struggled for most of the 2013 season in Triple-A. He has hit just seven home runs and posted a .752 OPS. His last home run came on June 19 against the Toledo Mud Hens.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)