Jul 6, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard, dealing with an ailing knee for quite some time, has at long last been placed on the disabled list. To fill his vacant space on the 25-man roster, the Phillies have recalled Darin Ruf from Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Both pieces of news come via Matt Gelb on Twitter. Ruf is expected to join the team at some point during the game tonight, and as a result, Laynce Nix will get the start at first base tonight against Braves starter Tim Hudson.
Howard hit a home run yesterday but was visibly struggling to move, both while circling the bases and while playing at first base and it has been an ongoing problem all season long. Nevertheless, he has hit well at times and is overall comfortably above the league average with a .784 OPS.
Ruf, after leading the Eastern League (Double-A) with 38 home runs last season, has struggled for most of the 2013 season in Triple-A. He has hit just seven home runs and posted a .752 OPS. His last home run came on June 19 against the Toledo Mud Hens.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)