Jul 6, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard, dealing with an ailing knee for quite some time, has at long last been placed on the disabled list. To fill his vacant space on the 25-man roster, the Phillies have recalled Darin Ruf from Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Both pieces of news come via Matt Gelb on Twitter. Ruf is expected to join the team at some point during the game tonight, and as a result, Laynce Nix will get the start at first base tonight against Braves starter Tim Hudson.
Howard hit a home run yesterday but was visibly struggling to move, both while circling the bases and while playing at first base and it has been an ongoing problem all season long. Nevertheless, he has hit well at times and is overall comfortably above the league average with a .784 OPS.
Ruf, after leading the Eastern League (Double-A) with 38 home runs last season, has struggled for most of the 2013 season in Triple-A. He has hit just seven home runs and posted a .752 OPS. His last home run came on June 19 against the Toledo Mud Hens.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)