Jul 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
The Red Sox placed shortstop Stephen Drew on the 15-day disabled list yesterday after he missed a week of action due to right hamstring tightness.
Drew suffered the injury running to second base on a double last Friday against the Blue Jays. While he has made progress over the past few days, he told Ian Browne of MLB.com that it just makes more sense “to let it heal up.” He’ll be eligible to return on July 14, which is the final day before the All-Star break.
After joining the Red Sox over the winter on a one-year, $9.5 million contract, Drew is batting .233/.313/.409 with five home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season. The hot-hitting Jose Iglesias has handled shortstop duties during his absence while Brandon Snyder has received most of the playing time at third base.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 56
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)