Jul 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
The Red Sox placed shortstop Stephen Drew on the 15-day disabled list yesterday after he missed a week of action due to right hamstring tightness.
Drew suffered the injury running to second base on a double last Friday against the Blue Jays. While he has made progress over the past few days, he told Ian Browne of MLB.com that it just makes more sense “to let it heal up.” He’ll be eligible to return on July 14, which is the final day before the All-Star break.
After joining the Red Sox over the winter on a one-year, $9.5 million contract, Drew is batting .233/.313/.409 with five home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season. The hot-hitting Jose Iglesias has handled shortstop duties during his absence while Brandon Snyder has received most of the playing time at third base.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)