Jul 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
The Red Sox placed shortstop Stephen Drew on the 15-day disabled list yesterday after he missed a week of action due to right hamstring tightness.
Drew suffered the injury running to second base on a double last Friday against the Blue Jays. While he has made progress over the past few days, he told Ian Browne of MLB.com that it just makes more sense “to let it heal up.” He’ll be eligible to return on July 14, which is the final day before the All-Star break.
After joining the Red Sox over the winter on a one-year, $9.5 million contract, Drew is batting .233/.313/.409 with five home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season. The hot-hitting Jose Iglesias has handled shortstop duties during his absence while Brandon Snyder has received most of the playing time at third base.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)