Jul 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
The Red Sox placed shortstop Stephen Drew on the 15-day disabled list yesterday after he missed a week of action due to right hamstring tightness.
Drew suffered the injury running to second base on a double last Friday against the Blue Jays. While he has made progress over the past few days, he told Ian Browne of MLB.com that it just makes more sense “to let it heal up.” He’ll be eligible to return on July 14, which is the final day before the All-Star break.
After joining the Red Sox over the winter on a one-year, $9.5 million contract, Drew is batting .233/.313/.409 with five home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season. The hot-hitting Jose Iglesias has handled shortstop duties during his absence while Brandon Snyder has received most of the playing time at third base.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)