Jul 6, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
The Red Sox placed shortstop Stephen Drew on the 15-day disabled list yesterday after he missed a week of action due to right hamstring tightness.
Drew suffered the injury running to second base on a double last Friday against the Blue Jays. While he has made progress over the past few days, he told Ian Browne of MLB.com that it just makes more sense “to let it heal up.” He’ll be eligible to return on July 14, which is the final day before the All-Star break.
After joining the Red Sox over the winter on a one-year, $9.5 million contract, Drew is batting .233/.313/.409 with five home runs and 31 RBI in 66 games this season. The hot-hitting Jose Iglesias has handled shortstop duties during his absence while Brandon Snyder has received most of the playing time at third base.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)