The All-Star Game rosters have been unveiled

Jul 6, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT

Via MLB’s official Twitter, here are the starting position players for the 2013 All-Star Game at Citi Field:

Nothing too shocking on the National League side of things. In a more Sabermetrically-inclined universe, Matt Carpenter could have gotten the nod over Brandon Phillips. If Troy Tulowitzki isn’t healthy enough to return, you’ll see either Jean Segura or Everth Cabrera at shortstop. “CarGo” refers to Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, not Carlos Gomez of the Brewers. Gomez probably should have gotten the nod over Bryce Harper given the playing time disparity. (By the way, Harper’s 201 PA total is closer to that of Yasiel Puig — 127 — than Gomez’s 325.)

In the American League, one could make a solid numbers-based case for Jason Kipnis over both Robinson Cano and Dustin Pedroia. Jhonny Peralta has been markedly better than J.J. Hardy but has half the home run total. Adam Jones could have been a reserve in favor of someone like Brett Gardner or Jacoby Ellsbury.

The pitchers:

Shocking not to see Stephen Strasburg, 4-6 but with a 2.24 ERA, not make it. Adam Wainwright won’t pitch in the All-Star Game, so it seems pretty open-and-shut that Matt Harvey gets the nod to start the game in his team’s stadium. With Jason Kipnis on the roster, the “one player from each team” rule was satisfied, making it odd that Justin Masterson earned a spot while Royals hurler Ervin Santana was left off. But other than that, there aren’t any huge omissions as far as AL pitchers go. And the reserves:

Allen Craig getting the last first base roster spot for the NL over Freddie Freeman is sure to cause some debate. In a surprisingly stacked year at the position, Ian Desmond has been the fourth-best shortstop in the NL, which may explain why he didn’t make the cut. Where is Reds center fielder Shin-Soo Choo and his .417 on-base percentage?

Josh Donaldson is the biggest AL omission that jumps out at you. The Athletics third baseman has a .903 OPS, fourth-best among all MLB third basemen and third-best in the American League behind Miguel Cabrera and Evan Longoria. Longoria, by the way, also not an All-Star.

The Final Vote candidates:

We may see Yasiel Puig in the All-Star Game, after all. The Cuban, setting the baseball world on fire, has a 1.155 OPS through his first 30 Major League games. All five of the AL candidates are pitchers, and relievers at that. Would that we could submit two Final Votes for NL players and zero for the AL in this case.

1. tigers182 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM

What a joke! The player on the team I follow should’ve been on the team!

• dondada10 - Jul 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

How have so many people taken you seriously on this?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM

There is no way he should be on if guy I have on my fantasy team isn’t on

2. dhalb34 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM

A’s still haven’t had a position player on the AS roster since 2003, but in all fairness, Donaldson is in a stacked race at 3B, and he’s from a small market. So unless he’s mashing a million HR’s no one will notice. A little disappointed he didn’t get put on the fan vote though. It’s all right Josh, keep hitting and help the A’s win the West. GO A’s!

• scatterbrian - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM

No Donaldson and no Balfour is a crime. But hopefully we get to see Steve Delabar!!

• hcf95688 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Any AL closer over Balfour is a joke.

• historiophiliac - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Um, Mariano Rivera?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Then vote early and vote often for Delabar. Yankee voters will be ballot stuffing for Robertson who is a fine pitcher but not as good as Delabar.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 7, 2013 at 2:20 AM

True Yankee voters could care less about this crap, if I had it my way NOBODY from the Yanks even plays this game that doesn’t count for squat!!! Let all the bluejay players play, what the heck they don’t play in any game that counts anyway so why not this mess? I mean really!!

• nbjays - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM

‘harry, are those the same Yankee voters who had Jeter in 5th place at SS? I bet you voted for him too.

3. hcf95688 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM

SIX Tigers? And only one Oakland Athletic? Fuck you, Jim Leyland.

• Bill Baer - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM
      • historiophiliac - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Grrrrrr!!!!!!

• philliesblow - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM

2012 ALDS: Tigers 3, A’s 2. To the winners go the spoils.

4. kane337 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Vote for Freddie Freeman

5. aceinthehole12 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM

This is a biased comment: Josh Donaldson should be an All-Star. It’s okay though..NL will win anyways..at least JD can rest up and hopefully have a fantastic second half.

• paperlions - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The ASG is meaningless to me. I would prefer there to be no Cardinals picked so guys can take a break than to see so many on the roster.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Same here.

Interleague play killed any mystique the game carried for me with the home field wackiness just adding to the folly.

Now it’s 10 days of “snub” talk to look forward to.

Yippee.

• paperlions - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I’ll still watch the game with mild interest (in all honestly, I’ll care more about the result because of the WS implications). I actually enjoy seeing the Cardinals play teams they don’t usually play and prefer that to no-interleague. For me, the ASG interest has always been the “all-stariness” of the rosters, not the “interleagueiness” of the competition.

I just care more about the Cardinals winning than I care about individuals players being recognizes. I admit, when I was younger, I cared much more about individual players getting what I thought was their “just due”…now, I really don’t care about that with respect to the ASG or post-season awards.

• historiophiliac - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Boooo!!!!

/throws peanuts

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM

With you Paper. The rest would be welcomed.

6. rockthered1286 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Markakis. Snub.

• paperlions - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I’d love to see a legitimate argument for this. He’s a league average bat playing at average D at a corner OF spot.

• scatterbrian - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Seriously? Hitting .291/.339/.409? There are about a dozen OFs more worthy.

7. thebadguyswon - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM

The lineups look very close. But once again, the NL has the deeper pitching staff.

NL is going to win again.

8. brockohol - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

why is there a debate on craig/freeman? hr, rbi, avg all better for craig. freemans cool or whatever but unless you are choosing players based off of random obscure stats I don’t see why there is a debate over the 2nd leading RBI hitter in NL

• adcoop22 - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM

2nd only to the other 1B that is not starting for the NL. Votto has been good, but this year he has been the 4th best in the NL at his position, at best.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Tied for first in fWAR with Goldschmidt, first in wOBA at .407 (next is .398) and first in wRC+ at 160 (second is 150).

How is he 4th, at best?

9. farvefromover - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM

You kind of suck as a writer and this site could have gone otherwise with someone else to write All Star non-sense, much like some of previous writings. But you have the final say, so get your last word in, you still suck.

• Bill Baer - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Mom, I told you not to comment on my articles.

• historiophiliac - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Congratulations, Bill. You have your own troll. You’ve arrived!

(FYI, we can handle the trolls for you…unless you just wanna have some fun.)

• Bill Baer - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM

@ historiophiliac

Thanks. I do like to party from time to time.

*cracks knuckles*

*adjusts glasses*

• thomas844 - Jul 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Pretty sure that is the greatest reply to a troll I have ever seen.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I have to second (and third) the sentiment. 99% of the time I agree with the “don’t feed the troll” mantra, but that was so well played!

You are doign an awesome job btw – and if it is not too much to ask, please let Craig know Howard Eskin is not a reporter. Or commentator. Or human

10. sawxalicious - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Pretty sure Puig will be at this year’s AS Game….

• tigers182 - Jul 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Because he would much rather be working than sitting in Maui, sipping a mai tai, relaxing for three days.

• rmfields - Jul 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

First, all-star weekend is hardly work. Secondly, I’m sure Puig would be thrilled to be invited. Getting to the show at such a young age.. and then making an all-star game to hang out with guys he looked up to growing up… yeah, I’m sure he would hate that.

11. 13arod - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Matt moore is 11 and 3 and .365 era and didnt make allstar team what the heck

12. hiflew - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I think MLB has the perfect setup for Puig NOT to win the Final Vote. Three big fanbases in Atlanta, Washington, and San Francisco to vote for their guys and two Dodgers to potentially split the LA vote. If there is a way for Puig to lose the vote, this is probably it.

• thebadguyswon - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I bet Puig wins the Final Vote easily.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I think Bryce Harper will.

Huh? He’s the what? NFW

• hiflew - Jul 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Okay so what do I win from this “bet?”

13. adcoop22 - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Part of me wants to complain that Parra didn’t even make the 5 man vote, but then I remember that he could just use the time to rest and spend the second half kicking the Giants’ butts.

14. straightouttavtown - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM

How on earth did Masterson and his league average ERA get picked over a bunch of more deserving guys? Whose ass did he lick?

• thebadguyswon - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Your sisters?

• rmfields - Jul 6, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Funny, you mention his ERA but I guess you just dismiss the fact that Masterson is 4th in MLB in strikeouts (131), and also leads the entire league in shutouts (3) this year. Sure his ERA might be average, but he has had some utterly dominate outings and is a K machine.

15. cocheese000 - Jul 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Wow Gardner to start and jones as a reserve? I think mr Baer may need to be tested for drugs.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Gardner has a better wOBA (.338 to .336) and wRC+ (111 to 110) to Jones, and never mind that Gardner is by far the better defender (2.7 fWAR to 1.4 fWAR). So Bill is right

• cocheese000 - Jul 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Isn’t there a Star Wars convention you should be attending. Anyone that thinks Gardner is better than jones this year is a fool. And don’t forget about gardner’s girly arm. Baer is also the same guy that said machado is not in the same class as trout and Harper.

16. Kevin Gillman - Jul 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I am truly happy Jason Kipnis got the All-Star spot. He should have had it last season too, but it’s nice to see him get recognition.

17. cohnjusack - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Why?

Craig: .325/.368/.492, 19 2B, 10 HR, 68 RBI, hitting .476 with RISP
    Freeman: .309/.385/.468, 15 2B, 9 HR, 56 RBI, .418 RISP

Why debate? They’re basically having the same season…Craig’s has just played a bit more and his number are ever.so.slightly better.

18. kirschmania - Jul 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM

It’s sad to see so many ex-Twins on the team. How come players (not named Willingham) tend to thrive once they leave that organization?

19. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 7, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Time to be smart like the NFL and do away with the all star game the same way the NFL did away with the Pro bowl, NOBODY CARES!!!! Kill this game already!!!

• nbjays - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

But you always come here saying nobody cares, ‘harry… which means YOU CARE. See how that works?

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

And to think, this schmuck has a daughter
      12 year old child mentality and anger issues raising a child

• wretchu - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Uhhhh… you realize that they do still play the Pro Bowl, right?

20. ch0psuey - Jul 7, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Good for Everth Cabrera. Even with missing a ~month he still is just a couple back of the Steals lead.

21. brockohol - Jul 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

so your saying all of craigs numbers are better and he’s more durable?

freemans ba and ba with risp being drastically lower has nothing to do with how many games he’s played in.

22. mannyicey - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Hi! I don’t think that Kimbrel should play! Can he fake and injury or something? I mean, the Braves are in first place and needs everyone rested.

23. jbsds - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM

It is good to see for the most part the lineups are All-Stars and not just the old fogie star from someones past. I am sure with the extras in the lineups, it will be an excellent showcase of All-Stars.

1. M. Morse (2298)