Jul 6, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Nunez has been sidelined for two months with a left ribcage strain. The 26-year-old batted .375 (6-for-16) with one RBI and four walks in seven minor league rehab games between Low-A Charleston, High-A Tampa, and Double-A Trenton. He’ll get a chance to fill in at shortstop for now, though Derek Jeter isn’t far off from a return.
As for Phelps, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com notes that he has been shut down for 10 days. The 26-year-old gave up four runs in 6 1/3 innings against the Twins in his most recent start on Thursday and holds a 5.01 ERA and 75/32 K/BB ratio over 82 2/3 innings this season. Ivan Nova, who struck out 11 in a complete game win over the Orioles last night, will keep a spot in the starting rotation for now.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)