Jul 6, 2013, 11:40 AM EST
Nunez has been sidelined for two months with a left ribcage strain. The 26-year-old batted .375 (6-for-16) with one RBI and four walks in seven minor league rehab games between Low-A Charleston, High-A Tampa, and Double-A Trenton. He’ll get a chance to fill in at shortstop for now, though Derek Jeter isn’t far off from a return.
As for Phelps, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com notes that he has been shut down for 10 days. The 26-year-old gave up four runs in 6 1/3 innings against the Twins in his most recent start on Thursday and holds a 5.01 ERA and 75/32 K/BB ratio over 82 2/3 innings this season. Ivan Nova, who struck out 11 in a complete game win over the Orioles last night, will keep a spot in the starting rotation for now.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)