Jul 6, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Nunez has been sidelined for two months with a left ribcage strain. The 26-year-old batted .375 (6-for-16) with one RBI and four walks in seven minor league rehab games between Low-A Charleston, High-A Tampa, and Double-A Trenton. He’ll get a chance to fill in at shortstop for now, though Derek Jeter isn’t far off from a return.
As for Phelps, Bryan Hoch of MLB.com notes that he has been shut down for 10 days. The 26-year-old gave up four runs in 6 1/3 innings against the Twins in his most recent start on Thursday and holds a 5.01 ERA and 75/32 K/BB ratio over 82 2/3 innings this season. Ivan Nova, who struck out 11 in a complete game win over the Orioles last night, will keep a spot in the starting rotation for now.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)