Jul 6, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal needed assistance leaving the field of play at Nationals Park this afternoon after Anthony Rendon aggressively slid into him at home plate in the bottom of the third inning. Rendon’s slide was clean as he was attempting to break up what could have been an inning-ending 3-2-3 double play. Grandal, unfortunately, was unable to put weight on his leg.
Grandal has been splitting time at catcher with Nick Hundley and has done an adequate job, hitting at about the league average. MLB.com’s Corey Brock suggests Rene Rivera could replace Grandal if a DL stint is required.
Brock tweeted the extent of Grandal’s injury:
Yasmani Grandal on crutches. Damage to ACL and MCL. “Not good,” said #Padres manager Bud Black.
— Corey Brock (@FollowThePadres) July 6, 2013
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11