Jul 6, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal needed assistance leaving the field of play at Nationals Park this afternoon after Anthony Rendon aggressively slid into him at home plate in the bottom of the third inning. Rendon’s slide was clean as he was attempting to break up what could have been an inning-ending 3-2-3 double play. Grandal, unfortunately, was unable to put weight on his leg.
Grandal has been splitting time at catcher with Nick Hundley and has done an adequate job, hitting at about the league average. MLB.com’s Corey Brock suggests Rene Rivera could replace Grandal if a DL stint is required.
Brock tweeted the extent of Grandal’s injury:
Yasmani Grandal on crutches. Damage to ACL and MCL. “Not good,” said #Padres manager Bud Black.
— Corey Brock (@FollowThePadres) July 6, 2013
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)