Jul 6, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal needed assistance leaving the field of play at Nationals Park this afternoon after Anthony Rendon aggressively slid into him at home plate in the bottom of the third inning. Rendon’s slide was clean as he was attempting to break up what could have been an inning-ending 3-2-3 double play. Grandal, unfortunately, was unable to put weight on his leg.
Grandal has been splitting time at catcher with Nick Hundley and has done an adequate job, hitting at about the league average. MLB.com’s Corey Brock suggests Rene Rivera could replace Grandal if a DL stint is required.
Brock tweeted the extent of Grandal’s injury:
Yasmani Grandal on crutches. Damage to ACL and MCL. “Not good,” said #Padres manager Bud Black.
— Corey Brock (@FollowThePadres) July 6, 2013
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 0
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 14
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 5
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 32
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)