Jul 6, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal needed assistance leaving the field of play at Nationals Park this afternoon after Anthony Rendon aggressively slid into him at home plate in the bottom of the third inning. Rendon’s slide was clean as he was attempting to break up what could have been an inning-ending 3-2-3 double play. Grandal, unfortunately, was unable to put weight on his leg.
Grandal has been splitting time at catcher with Nick Hundley and has done an adequate job, hitting at about the league average. MLB.com’s Corey Brock suggests Rene Rivera could replace Grandal if a DL stint is required.
Brock tweeted the extent of Grandal’s injury:
Yasmani Grandal on crutches. Damage to ACL and MCL. “Not good,” said #Padres manager Bud Black.
— Corey Brock (@FollowThePadres) July 6, 2013
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 31
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)