Adam Jones gives Mariano Rivera his 2nd blown save of the season

Jul 7, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT

Orioles' Jones watches his two-run home run off of Yankees closing pitcher Rivera during the ninth inning of their MLB American League baseball game at Yankee Stadium in New York Reuters

With his club trailing 1-0 with one out and one on in the ninth inning against Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, Orioles outfielder Adam Jones hit a two-run home run into the bullpen in left field to put the Orioles ahead. O’s closer Jim Johnson, baseball’s leader in blown saves, came on in the bottom half of the inning and retired the Yankees in order for the save.

The blown save was just the second of the season for Rivera and it snapped a streak of 41 consecutive saves at home. His ERA jumped 50 points, from 1.39 to 1.89. The home run was Jones’ 16th and he pushed his RBI total to 61, tying him with David Ortiz for the sixth-most RBI in the American League Both Jones and Rivera were named to the AL All-Star roster yesterday.

1. rockthered1286 - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Jones first extra base hit since June 19th. Mind you I’d still take him starting in CF over any of the other “snubs” any day, especially Gardner, who has had an abysmal month of July.

• RickyB - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM

All six days of July? That’s the sample size I want to consider …

• Kevin S. - Jul 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Coming off a month in which he hit .330/.372/.509. But yeah, a tough seven game stretch completely negates Gardner’s OBP and defensive superiority over Jones.

2. heyblueyoustink - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Machado’s play, at third, is one of the most amazing baseball plays I have ever seen.

• vapor54 - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:18 AM

hey- Machado has a home at 3B- and may not return to SS. Huge save for Jim J, too

3. mudhead123 - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Greatest ever? It was a good play, but he needed a slow runner to make it.

• rarson - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I think most guys would have given up on the play, and at the very least would have bounced the ball at least once, let alone fire a dead-on shot to first.

Pretty f-ing amazing if you ask me.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I didn’t say greatest ever, but really, he was half way to the friggin dugout. Stay douchey, my friend.

4. ncm42 - Jul 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Yup, that Machado play was unreal. The arm strength on that one!

5. aceshigh11 - Jul 7, 2013 at 9:03 PM

The Orioles, Rays and Yankees are all bunched up in the division with almost exactly the same record (Yankees have one less game played than the other two).

Don’t see that too often.

6. uscoach - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I know I speak for most O’s fans when I say that we are giddy, on a daily basis — about the fact that Manny is on our team. I don’t know when contract time comes around for him, but I do know that our ownership needs to lock this guy in with a long-term deal when it does.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM

According to Baseball-Reference.com, we have a few years before we’ll have to worry about anything contract related.

Service Time (01/2013): 0.056, Arb Eligible: 2016, Free Agent: 2019 [*], Agents: Dan Lozano [*]

7. drinkpeepee - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM

“League leader in blown saves…”

The blown saves define Johnson? Not the fact he leads the league in converted saves? Ok then. There is a way to mention BOTH, you know.

8. drinkpeepee - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Misquoted you. “Baseball’s leader in blown saves.” My point remains.

9. BigBeachBall - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Tough break for the second greatest closer of all time.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4614)