Adrian Gonzalez supports teammate Yasiel Puig for NL All-Star Final Vote

Jul 7, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT

Adrian Gonzalez Getty Images

Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez is one of five finalists for the National League All-Star final vote. So, too, is teammate and outfielder Yasiel Puig. Despite logging more than 200 fewer at-bats, Puig leads Gonzalez in Wins Above Replacement, 2.4 to 1.9, according to Baseball Reference. FanGraphs has Puig leading Gonzalez 1.9 to 1.5.

For ostensibly altruistic and not statistical reasons, Gonzalez is supporting Puig for the Final Vote.

Via MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick:

“For me, personally, I want Puig to go,” said Gonzalez, a four-time All-Star. “I’m voting for Puig.”

[...]

“That’s what the fans want to see,” said Gonzalez, who was wearing a Puig 66 shirt while being interviewed. “It’s from the heart.”

Gonzalez admits he would feel differently if he had never been an All-Star.

“No, then I’d want to go,” he said. “But that’s why I want him to go.”

Said manager Don Mattingly: “I’m voting for both.”

Puig has taken the baseball world by storm since making his Major League debut on June 3. After going 2-for-4 in this afternoon’s victory over the Giants, Puig is hitting .409 with 17 extra-base hits (eight of which are home runs) and five stolen bases.

1. illadelphiasphinest - Jul 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Was he not supposed to support his teammate?

Now granted Puig is having an outstanding beginning to his season. But he has only had 1 month worth of at bats…. I say look over him as an AS but he leads the way for ROY and will get MVP votes if he can keep this up.

• soxpower - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM

agree, Why should he be in the allstar game. I really wanna hear someone really tell me why. I can’t figure it out.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM

It’s kind of in the article, but I know it’s too hard to read sometimes. I guess it’s the .407 batting average in about 120 at bats sort of thing. Or that arm in right field that doubled up a runner at 1st to end his first game in the majors. It could be the hard hits, the home runs, the speed. Granted, I don’t care if he makes the All-Star game, but since you asked why anybody might care, I thought I’d complicate your life by spelling it out for you.

• bankboy2012 - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Mark Fidrych had all of 11 career starts under his belt when he started the 1976 game. If Puig gets voted in then good for him.

2. soxpower - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM

PLEASE ALL DODGER FANS AND BASEBALL FANS PLEASE READ THIS.

Ik Puig has all the hype and is playing terrific. But Adrian Gonzalez Has been solid the WHOLE year and has been solid through out his whole stint with the dodgers. Puig has a good Shot at ROY let him have that one and let GOnzo have the spot a player who truley deserves it. Also, Starling Marte should be on the final ballot not Puig.

• ilovekneegrows - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Given the body of work, Marte is more impressive than Puig.

3. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM

PLEASE ALL RED SOX FANS READ THIS

You have been bitching about Carl Crawford all year long and he isn’t on your team anymore nor are your ticket purchases paying for the contract your ownership decided to offer him. Also, the trade with the Dodgers last year may very well have been an amazing addition by subtraction, but please realize your team did not own or pawn the Dodgers just because you’re in first and the Dodgers are in 2nd. Dodgers fans know why the trade was made, and we are thrilled to have Adrian Gonzalez as our 1st baseman for the next 5+ seasons. What I’m trying to point out is that nothing you have said about the players on the Dodgers has made much sense this year, so for your sake, please don’t go onto message boards to lecture us about how Puig is undeserving of an All-Star selection because of his short body work of experience, or that Puig is some reason why Bochy didn’t choose Sterling Marte as an NL reserve, or why Selig didn’t choose Marte as a Final 5 candidate. I can’t stand the Yankees, but now I understand why they can’t Red Sox Nation.

4. stinkfingers - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Vote Freddie Freeman

5. stoutfiles - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

PLEASE ALL FANS WHO WANT THEIR TEAMS PLAYERS IN READ THIS

You don’t know what you’re saying. It benefits you to have your players barely miss the All-Star game. Each successful nomination makes their next contract that much bigger when it comes time to renew. Plus, by playing in the All-Star game (and especially the mechanic-ruining Homerun Derby) they are not getting valuable rest time that others playing are getting.

You think you want your teams players in the game, but you don’t. You want them rest and you want your team to win games instead.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5100)