Jul 7, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
It has been a hellish week for the Rockies, losers of seven of their last eight games. They lost starter Roy Oswalt to a hamstring injury in the second inning this afternoon, then lost outfielder Carlos Gonzalez to a right hand injury in the ninth inning just as they were ready to escape the Arizona heat.
With one out in the ninth inning, Gonzalez swung at and fouled off the first pitch he saw from Diamondbacks reliever Josh Collmenter, an 88 MPH cut fastball. He grimaced on the backswing, then immediately dropped the bat and paced around the home plate area, shaking his hand. Manager Walt Weiss and a trainer came out to find out more about Gonzalez’s pain. After a couple minutes of deliberation, Gonzalez walked off the field and was pinch-hit for with Todd Helton, who eventually struck out for the second out. Michael Cuddyer then struck out to end the game, a 6-1 victory for the first-place Diamondbacks.
Troy Renck reports that Gonzalez sprained the middle finger on his right hand. Fortunately for the Rockies, x-rays came up negative and the outfielder is listed as day-to-day.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)