Derek Jeter goes 0-for-2 with a walk in first rehab game

Jul 7, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

Derek Jeter‘s first rehab game is in the books.

According to the official Twitter account of the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, the veteran shortstop finished 0-for-2 with a walk and fielded the one ball that was hit to him at shortstop on Saturday night against the Phillies’ International League affiliate out of Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania.

Jeter played five innings on defense and reported no issues at all with his surgically-repaired left ankle.

He told reporters afterward that he would be playing in games at Yankee Stadium right now if it were up to him, and there is still a decent chance that he could be activated before the All-Star break.

1. millmannj - Jul 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM

No surprise that the NY papers report an 0-2 in Jeter’s first rehab game differently than A-Rod’s 0-2. With Rodriguez it’s a continuation of his horrible ALCS (on a bad hip, that he never used as an excuse), while Jeter gets the “he’ll be back at the Stadium soon!” angle.

2. Reflex - Jul 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Well at least they can finally get the baseball season started. Been waiting for when the games finally count…

3. historiophiliac - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Doom.

4. buffalomafia - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

The real teams put it together after all star break! Go Yanks!

• aceshigh11 - Jul 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yep, everyone knows that the games played before the All-Star Break don’t count!

You guys have DEFINITELY got the AL East sewn up. GO YANKEES!

• fanofevilempire - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

you are a funny guy, but maybe you should plug in Yankees @ bing and then read up on them.
        you Pittsburg fans better not print any playoff tickets just yet, I expect a huge implosion, I think the loss last night may be the beginning of the end for Pittsburg, I bet they don’t do
        anything @ the All Star game.

• historiophiliac - Jul 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I thought you were a BloSox fan.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I am! Hence my ultra-sarcastic tone. ;)

The Yankees could easily end up cleaning our clocks in the second half…I would not be surprised to see the Red Sox collapse.

• historiophiliac - Jul 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

That’s what I thought. I was confused that the Pittsburgh thing was for you,

• jwbiii - Jul 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM

evilempire, I bet most Pittsburghers can spell New York. It seems that the converse is not true.

5. southofheaven81 - Jul 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I was at the game. Jeter looked a little rusty but pretty good. His second at-bat he hit a really hard line drive that the second baseman just happened to be in perfect position for. He was a little slow getting down the line to first.

The thing that really impressed me was how, in the 5th inning, the RailRiders’ second baseman missed a leaping try at a line drive, and I saw Jeter slam his hand in his glove in frustration. The guy really doesn’t just rehab, he is obsessed with winning!

Pineda looked pretty good too, his only 2 earned runs were on a bloop in the 1st that the right fielder lost in the sun.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

And On the Third Day He rose again…our biracial angel…

• fanofevilempire - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

wtf is wrong with you?

• aceshigh11 - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

“Biracial angel” is a line from the Will Ferrell/Mark Wahlberg movie “The Other Guys.”

C’mon…like Yankees fans AREN’T awaiting the return of Jeter any less eagerly than Christians are awaiting the return of Christ?

I’m just kidding around…I have a ton of respect for Jeter.

• historiophiliac - Jul 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I bet if you’d gone with the “shoulda shot A-Rod” line, you’d have gotten so many Yankees thumbs up.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM

last line should @ trade deadline.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM

have you ever seen him go after the foul balls and
      diving into the stands, he thinks he is Superman.
      he is not afraid of a few scratches either and the
      chicks dig it too.