Jul 7, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Mets catcher John Buck has your quote of the year, talking about his accidental interference with the sausage race at Miller Park last night while his team faced the Brewers in a weekend series. Buck exited the dugout between innings to take his position at home plate, but didn’t notice that the sausages were stampeding down the side of the field towards him. He weaved through the dashing sausages and everyone left unharmed.
Buck spoke to the media about the incident after the game. Via MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
“I was just coming out of the dugout like I normally do,” Buck said. “Then all of the sudden I felt like I had a big wiener over me.”
Almost immediately, boos came raining down.
“They were not happy about it,” Buck said. “They were probably happy I struck out after that. I messed up their wiener race.”
That is the funniest quote since Matt Stairs rehashed his pinch-hit home run in the 2008 NLCS against the Dodgers.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 10
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 52
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 178
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (178)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (113)