Jul 7, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Mets catcher John Buck has your quote of the year, talking about his accidental interference with the sausage race at Miller Park last night while his team faced the Brewers in a weekend series. Buck exited the dugout between innings to take his position at home plate, but didn’t notice that the sausages were stampeding down the side of the field towards him. He weaved through the dashing sausages and everyone left unharmed.
Buck spoke to the media about the incident after the game. Via MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
“I was just coming out of the dugout like I normally do,” Buck said. “Then all of the sudden I felt like I had a big wiener over me.”
Almost immediately, boos came raining down.
“They were not happy about it,” Buck said. “They were probably happy I struck out after that. I messed up their wiener race.”
That is the funniest quote since Matt Stairs rehashed his pinch-hit home run in the 2008 NLCS against the Dodgers.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 10
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)