Jul 7, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Mets catcher John Buck has your quote of the year, talking about his accidental interference with the sausage race at Miller Park last night while his team faced the Brewers in a weekend series. Buck exited the dugout between innings to take his position at home plate, but didn’t notice that the sausages were stampeding down the side of the field towards him. He weaved through the dashing sausages and everyone left unharmed.
Buck spoke to the media about the incident after the game. Via MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
“I was just coming out of the dugout like I normally do,” Buck said. “Then all of the sudden I felt like I had a big wiener over me.”
Almost immediately, boos came raining down.
“They were not happy about it,” Buck said. “They were probably happy I struck out after that. I messed up their wiener race.”
That is the funniest quote since Matt Stairs rehashed his pinch-hit home run in the 2008 NLCS against the Dodgers.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)