Jul 7, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Mets catcher John Buck has your quote of the year, talking about his accidental interference with the sausage race at Miller Park last night while his team faced the Brewers in a weekend series. Buck exited the dugout between innings to take his position at home plate, but didn’t notice that the sausages were stampeding down the side of the field towards him. He weaved through the dashing sausages and everyone left unharmed.
Buck spoke to the media about the incident after the game. Via MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
“I was just coming out of the dugout like I normally do,” Buck said. “Then all of the sudden I felt like I had a big wiener over me.”
Almost immediately, boos came raining down.
“They were not happy about it,” Buck said. “They were probably happy I struck out after that. I messed up their wiener race.”
That is the funniest quote since Matt Stairs rehashed his pinch-hit home run in the 2008 NLCS against the Dodgers.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 15
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 20
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 24
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)