Jul 7, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Mets catcher John Buck has your quote of the year, talking about his accidental interference with the sausage race at Miller Park last night while his team faced the Brewers in a weekend series. Buck exited the dugout between innings to take his position at home plate, but didn’t notice that the sausages were stampeding down the side of the field towards him. He weaved through the dashing sausages and everyone left unharmed.
Buck spoke to the media about the incident after the game. Via MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:
“I was just coming out of the dugout like I normally do,” Buck said. “Then all of the sudden I felt like I had a big wiener over me.”
Almost immediately, boos came raining down.
“They were not happy about it,” Buck said. “They were probably happy I struck out after that. I messed up their wiener race.”
That is the funniest quote since Matt Stairs rehashed his pinch-hit home run in the 2008 NLCS against the Dodgers.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)