Jul 7, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
As planned, the Pirates have activated right-handed starter A.J. Burnett from the 15-day disabled list.
He will start for the Pirates on Sunday afternoon against the Cubs after sitting out for the past three-plus weeks because of a strained right calf muscle.
Burnett has registered a fantastic 3.12 ERA and 1.13 ERA in 14 starts this season, fanning 99 batters and issuing only 35 walks in 89 1/3 innings. The 36-year-old Arkansas native owns an impressive 3.39 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 8.6 K/9 in 291 2/3 total frames since joining Pittsburgh via a trade from the Yankees before the start of the 2012 campaign.
The Pirates enter play Sunday with one-game lead over the Cardinals in the National League Central.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)