Jul 7, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Like many in-contention major league teams, the Red Sox will be looking to beef up their bullpen before the July 31 trade deadline. And it sounds like a certain pursuit might already be underway.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, White Sox reliever Matt Thornton is on a “list of possible bullpen targets” for the Boston front office. Atlanta is also known to have inquired about the veteran left-hander, though Rosenthal heard Sunday that the Braves’ actual level of interest is “limited.”
Thornton, 36, has registered a 3.04 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 20/9 K/BB ratio in 26 2/3 innings this season out of the White Sox bullpen. He has held left-handed batters to a .229/.295/.350 batting line in his career and he’s also pretty effective against righties.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 222
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (223)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)