Jul 7, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
Like many in-contention major league teams, the Red Sox will be looking to beef up their bullpen before the July 31 trade deadline. And it sounds like a certain pursuit might already be underway.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, White Sox reliever Matt Thornton is on a “list of possible bullpen targets” for the Boston front office. Atlanta is also known to have inquired about the veteran left-hander, though Rosenthal heard Sunday that the Braves’ actual level of interest is “limited.”
Thornton, 36, has registered a 3.04 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 20/9 K/BB ratio in 26 2/3 innings this season out of the White Sox bullpen. He has held left-handed batters to a .229/.295/.350 batting line in his career and he’s also pretty effective against righties.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 24
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 30
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)