Jul 7, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Like many in-contention major league teams, the Red Sox will be looking to beef up their bullpen before the July 31 trade deadline. And it sounds like a certain pursuit might already be underway.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, White Sox reliever Matt Thornton is on a “list of possible bullpen targets” for the Boston front office. Atlanta is also known to have inquired about the veteran left-hander, though Rosenthal heard Sunday that the Braves’ actual level of interest is “limited.”
Thornton, 36, has registered a 3.04 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 20/9 K/BB ratio in 26 2/3 innings this season out of the White Sox bullpen. He has held left-handed batters to a .229/.295/.350 batting line in his career and he’s also pretty effective against righties.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39