Jul 7, 2013, 11:36 PM EST
Rosenthal says the Cubs will get a minor league pitcher in return.
Hairston had to be expecting a bigger role than the one he found in Chicago after signing a two-year, $5 million contract with the Cubs in the offseason. He ended up getting just 98 at-bats in the Cubs’ 86 games and hitting .163/.225/.398 with seven homers and 18 RBI. Last year, Hairston hit .263/.299/.504 with 20 homers in 377 at-bats for the Mets.
Unfortunately, Hairston isn’t looking at an expanded role in Washington, not as long as the team’s starting outfielders stay healthy. Bryce Harper, Denard Span and Jayson Werth are all everyday players, and the Nats aren’t going to pick one to start benching against lefties, although they do want to give Harper more time off as he deals with a sore knee. Hairston has no experience at first base, so he probably won’t be of any help there. However, he will be an upgrade over Tyler Moore as a late-game option off the bench.
The Nationals will be the seventh team for the 34-year-old Hairston. He’s still looking to go to the playoffs for the first time in his 10 big-league seasons.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)