Jul 7, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Yankees have claimed first baseman Travis Ishikawa off waivers from the Orioles. Kevin Youkilis (back) was transferred to the 60-day disabled list in a corresponding move to clear a 40-man roster spot.
Ishikawa will meet up with the Yankees on Monday in New York and could see semi-regular action at first base, where Lyle Overbay and his .714 OPS (93 OPS+) have been starting. Ishikawa was batting .316/.413/.525 with seven home runs and 31 RBI in 49 games this season at Triple-A Norfolk before the O’s called him up on June 18. He was designated for assignment on June 29.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)