Jul 7, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Yankees have claimed first baseman Travis Ishikawa off waivers from the Orioles. Kevin Youkilis (back) was transferred to the 60-day disabled list in a corresponding move to clear a 40-man roster spot.
Ishikawa will meet up with the Yankees on Monday in New York and could see semi-regular action at first base, where Lyle Overbay and his .714 OPS (93 OPS+) have been starting. Ishikawa was batting .316/.413/.525 with seven home runs and 31 RBI in 49 games this season at Triple-A Norfolk before the O’s called him up on June 18. He was designated for assignment on June 29.
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 110
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)