Jul 7, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Michael Pineda has a 2.82 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 22/10 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings since he was cleared last month to begin a minor league rehab assignment. But the Yankees aren’t enticed yet.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, there’s a strong possibility that Pineda will be optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre instead of begin activated when his 30-day rehab assignment window officially comes to a close on Monday. That’s mostly because Ivan Nova is doing well as the No. 5 starter, but it is also because the Yankees can secure an extra year of team control on Pineda by optioning him to the minor leagues and keeping him there for at least 20 days.
Pineda, 24, posted a 3.74 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 9.1 K/9 in 171 innings with the Mariners in 2011. He was traded to New York that offseason along with Jose Campos for Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi.
Pineda has not pitched in a game for the Yankees since that deal because he developed shoulder issues during his first spring training with the Yankees and eventual needed a major surgical procedure.
UPDATE, 4:37 p.m. ET: Pineda has officially been optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, according to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger. He should be called up at the end of this month.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)