Jul 7, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Michael Pineda has a 2.82 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 22/10 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings since he was cleared last month to begin a minor league rehab assignment. But the Yankees aren’t enticed yet.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, there’s a strong possibility that Pineda will be optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre instead of begin activated when his 30-day rehab assignment window officially comes to a close on Monday. That’s mostly because Ivan Nova is doing well as the No. 5 starter, but it is also because the Yankees can secure an extra year of team control on Pineda by optioning him to the minor leagues and keeping him there for at least 20 days.
Pineda, 24, posted a 3.74 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 9.1 K/9 in 171 innings with the Mariners in 2011. He was traded to New York that offseason along with Jose Campos for Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi.
Pineda has not pitched in a game for the Yankees since that deal because he developed shoulder issues during his first spring training with the Yankees and eventual needed a major surgical procedure.
UPDATE, 4:37 p.m. ET: Pineda has officially been optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, according to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger. He should be called up at the end of this month.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)