Jul 7, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
Michael Pineda has a 2.82 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 22/10 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings since he was cleared last month to begin a minor league rehab assignment. But the Yankees aren’t enticed yet.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, there’s a strong possibility that Pineda will be optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre instead of begin activated when his 30-day rehab assignment window officially comes to a close on Monday. That’s mostly because Ivan Nova is doing well as the No. 5 starter, but it is also because the Yankees can secure an extra year of team control on Pineda by optioning him to the minor leagues and keeping him there for at least 20 days.
Pineda, 24, posted a 3.74 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 9.1 K/9 in 171 innings with the Mariners in 2011. He was traded to New York that offseason along with Jose Campos for Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi.
Pineda has not pitched in a game for the Yankees since that deal because he developed shoulder issues during his first spring training with the Yankees and eventual needed a major surgical procedure.
UPDATE, 4:37 p.m. ET: Pineda has officially been optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, according to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger. He should be called up at the end of this month.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 7
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)