Jul 7, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Corey Brock, the Padres have put catcher Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list with a right knee injury suffered Saturday when Anthony Rendon slid into his legs at home plate while trying to break up a double play.
Rene Rivera was called up from Triple-A Tucson in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will share time at catcher with Nick Hundley going forward.
The Padres aren’t certain yet about the full extent of Grandal’s injury, but it has already been determined that he has MCL and ACL damage — which usually means surgery is going to be necessary. An X-ray is scheduled for Sunday night and an MRI is set for Monday morning.
Grandal missed the first two months of the 2013 season while serving a 50-game PED suspension for elevated levels of testosterone. He was batting .216/.352/.341 in 108 plate appearances since his May 28 debut.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 20
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)