Jul 7, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Corey Brock, the Padres have put catcher Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list with a right knee injury suffered Saturday when Anthony Rendon slid into his legs at home plate while trying to break up a double play.
Rene Rivera was called up from Triple-A Tucson in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will share time at catcher with Nick Hundley going forward.
The Padres aren’t certain yet about the full extent of Grandal’s injury, but it has already been determined that he has MCL and ACL damage — which usually means surgery is going to be necessary. An X-ray is scheduled for Sunday night and an MRI is set for Monday morning.
Grandal missed the first two months of the 2013 season while serving a 50-game PED suspension for elevated levels of testosterone. He was batting .216/.352/.341 in 108 plate appearances since his May 28 debut.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)