Jul 7, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
As first reported by MLB.com’s Corey Brock, the Padres have put catcher Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list with a right knee injury suffered Saturday when Anthony Rendon slid into his legs at home plate while trying to break up a double play.
Rene Rivera was called up from Triple-A Tucson in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will share time at catcher with Nick Hundley going forward.
The Padres aren’t certain yet about the full extent of Grandal’s injury, but it has already been determined that he has MCL and ACL damage — which usually means surgery is going to be necessary. An X-ray is scheduled for Sunday night and an MRI is set for Monday morning.
Grandal missed the first two months of the 2013 season while serving a 50-game PED suspension for elevated levels of testosterone. He was batting .216/.352/.341 in 108 plate appearances since his May 28 debut.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)