Jul 7, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Corey Brock, the Padres have put catcher Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list with a right knee injury suffered Saturday when Anthony Rendon slid into his legs at home plate while trying to break up a double play.
Rene Rivera was called up from Triple-A Tucson in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will share time at catcher with Nick Hundley going forward.
The Padres aren’t certain yet about the full extent of Grandal’s injury, but it has already been determined that he has MCL and ACL damage — which usually means surgery is going to be necessary. An X-ray is scheduled for Sunday night and an MRI is set for Monday morning.
Grandal missed the first two months of the 2013 season while serving a 50-game PED suspension for elevated levels of testosterone. He was batting .216/.352/.341 in 108 plate appearances since his May 28 debut.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 73
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)