Jul 7, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Corey Brock, the Padres have put catcher Yasmani Grandal on the 60-day disabled list with a right knee injury suffered Saturday when Anthony Rendon slid into his legs at home plate while trying to break up a double play.
Rene Rivera was called up from Triple-A Tucson in a corresponding 25-man roster move and will share time at catcher with Nick Hundley going forward.
The Padres aren’t certain yet about the full extent of Grandal’s injury, but it has already been determined that he has MCL and ACL damage — which usually means surgery is going to be necessary. An X-ray is scheduled for Sunday night and an MRI is set for Monday morning.
Grandal missed the first two months of the 2013 season while serving a 50-game PED suspension for elevated levels of testosterone. He was batting .216/.352/.341 in 108 plate appearances since his May 28 debut.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)