Jul 8, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
Remember back in the day when Anna and Kris Benson were, for lack of any other better candidates, baseball’s first couple? Kris had a couple of good years with the Pirates that he parlayed into a nice contract with the Mets. Anna was the dancer-turned baseball wife who posed in gentlemen’s magazines and said audacious things in public. Things like, if Kris ever cheated on her she’d sleep with the entire Mets roster. We all got laughs at that stuff.
Then things turned bad. Anna starred in the awful “Baseball Wives” reality show and, last year, Kris filed for divorce. The fairytale was over. This morning, TMZ reports, things got worse. Way worse:
Former “Baseball Wives” star Anna Benson – the estranged wife of ex-pitcher Kris Benson – was arrested this morning in Georgia … after allegedly raiding Kris’ apartment with a gun and a metal baton, all while wearing a bulletproof vest. According to law enforcement, Kris — who filed for divorce last year — reported that Anna showed up in a rage last night after being forced by the court to vacate their marital home. Kris says Anna arrived and immediately whipped out an “expandable metal baton,” threatening to hit him.
Kris got out of the house and called the police. Anna was arrested and charged with two counts of felony aggravated assault with a weapon, one count of criminal trespass, and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. TMZ has the mugshot if you’re interested in such things.
Anna Benson isn’t a punchline anymore. She’s a tragedy.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8