Jul 8, 2013, 4:32 PM EST
Remember back in the day when Anna and Kris Benson were, for lack of any other better candidates, baseball’s first couple? Kris had a couple of good years with the Pirates that he parlayed into a nice contract with the Mets. Anna was the dancer-turned baseball wife who posed in gentlemen’s magazines and said audacious things in public. Things like, if Kris ever cheated on her she’d sleep with the entire Mets roster. We all got laughs at that stuff.
Then things turned bad. Anna starred in the awful “Baseball Wives” reality show and, last year, Kris filed for divorce. The fairytale was over. This morning, TMZ reports, things got worse. Way worse:
Former “Baseball Wives” star Anna Benson — the estranged wife of ex-pitcher Kris Benson — was arrested this morning in Georgia … after allegedly raiding Kris’ apartment with a gun and a metal baton, all while wearing a bulletproof vest. According to law enforcement, Kris — who filed for divorce last year — reported that Anna showed up in a rage last night after being forced by the court to vacate their marital home. Kris says Anna arrived and immediately whipped out an “expandable metal baton,” threatening to hit him.
Kris got out of the house and called the police. Anna was arrested and charged with two counts of felony aggravated assault with a weapon, one count of criminal trespass, and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. TMZ has the mugshot if you’re interested in such things.
Anna Benson isn’t a punchline anymore. She’s a tragedy.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)