Jul 8, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
Remember back in the day when Anna and Kris Benson were, for lack of any other better candidates, baseball’s first couple? Kris had a couple of good years with the Pirates that he parlayed into a nice contract with the Mets. Anna was the dancer-turned baseball wife who posed in gentlemen’s magazines and said audacious things in public. Things like, if Kris ever cheated on her she’d sleep with the entire Mets roster. We all got laughs at that stuff.
Then things turned bad. Anna starred in the awful “Baseball Wives” reality show and, last year, Kris filed for divorce. The fairytale was over. This morning, TMZ reports, things got worse. Way worse:
Former “Baseball Wives” star Anna Benson — the estranged wife of ex-pitcher Kris Benson — was arrested this morning in Georgia … after allegedly raiding Kris’ apartment with a gun and a metal baton, all while wearing a bulletproof vest. According to law enforcement, Kris — who filed for divorce last year — reported that Anna showed up in a rage last night after being forced by the court to vacate their marital home. Kris says Anna arrived and immediately whipped out an “expandable metal baton,” threatening to hit him.
Kris got out of the house and called the police. Anna was arrested and charged with two counts of felony aggravated assault with a weapon, one count of criminal trespass, and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. TMZ has the mugshot if you’re interested in such things.
Anna Benson isn’t a punchline anymore. She’s a tragedy.
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 0
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 10
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)