Jul 8, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
Remember back in the day when Anna and Kris Benson were, for lack of any other better candidates, baseball’s first couple? Kris had a couple of good years with the Pirates that he parlayed into a nice contract with the Mets. Anna was the dancer-turned baseball wife who posed in gentlemen’s magazines and said audacious things in public. Things like, if Kris ever cheated on her she’d sleep with the entire Mets roster. We all got laughs at that stuff.
Then things turned bad. Anna starred in the awful “Baseball Wives” reality show and, last year, Kris filed for divorce. The fairytale was over. This morning, TMZ reports, things got worse. Way worse:
Former “Baseball Wives” star Anna Benson – the estranged wife of ex-pitcher Kris Benson – was arrested this morning in Georgia … after allegedly raiding Kris’ apartment with a gun and a metal baton, all while wearing a bulletproof vest. According to law enforcement, Kris — who filed for divorce last year — reported that Anna showed up in a rage last night after being forced by the court to vacate their marital home. Kris says Anna arrived and immediately whipped out an “expandable metal baton,” threatening to hit him.
Kris got out of the house and called the police. Anna was arrested and charged with two counts of felony aggravated assault with a weapon, one count of criminal trespass, and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. TMZ has the mugshot if you’re interested in such things.
Anna Benson isn’t a punchline anymore. She’s a tragedy.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)