Anna Benson arrested after raiding Kris Benson’s house with a gun, bulletproof vest

Jul 8, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT

Children At Heart Gala To Benefit Children Of Chernobyl Getty Images

Remember back in the day when Anna and Kris Benson were, for lack of any other better candidates, baseball’s first couple?  Kris had a couple of good years with the Pirates that he parlayed into a nice contract with the Mets. Anna was the dancer-turned baseball wife who posed in gentlemen’s magazines and said audacious things in public. Things like, if Kris ever cheated on her she’d sleep with the entire Mets roster. We all got laughs at that stuff.

Then things turned bad. Anna starred in the awful “Baseball Wives” reality show and, last year, Kris filed for divorce. The fairytale  was over. This morning, TMZ reports, things got worse. Way worse:

Former “Baseball Wives” star Anna Benson — the estranged wife of ex-pitcher Kris Benson — was arrested this morning in Georgia … after allegedly raiding Kris’ apartment with a gun and a metal baton, all while wearing a bulletproof vest. According to law enforcement, Kris — who filed for divorce last year — reported that Anna showed up in a rage last night after being forced by the court to vacate their marital home. Kris says Anna arrived and immediately whipped out an “expandable metal baton,” threatening to hit him.

Kris got out of the house and called the police. Anna was arrested and charged with two counts of felony aggravated assault with a weapon, one count of criminal trespass, and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime. TMZ has the mugshot if you’re interested in such things.

Anna Benson isn’t a punchline anymore. She’s a tragedy.

1. heyblueyoustink - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

She seems, slightly off kilter.

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM

*killer

FTFY

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Holy crap is this an ugly page of comment.

/leaves quickly

2. crispybasil - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

The failure of the marriage and this incident come down to the lack of chemistry between those involved.

• badintent - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM

thank you Dr. Phil for sharing that. TNZ will have a field day with this cracker from yahooland.

3. mybrunoblog - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I always kind of found her to be a really annoying attention whore. One of those “hey, look at me” people who crave celebrity. I guess she had some serious crazy going on in that pretty little head of hers.

• dondada10 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Personally I would’ve left her after she threatened to reverse gang bang the Mets.

What really irks me is that we essentially traded Jose Bautista to the Pirates for Benson (along with Justin “OBP” Huber).

• indaburg - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Let’s be reasonable now. Hear her side of the story. I’m sure she has a perfectly good explanation for raiding her ex-husband’s house with a bulletproof vest and a gun. Maybe she wanted to go to the gun range? In the middle of the night? Um, maybe she was practicing militia survivalist scenarios? Hey, I hear Luke Scott is single…

• badintent - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Lenny dystra just got out of the can. Nails nailing her, sounds like a good reality show.

4. losangelesfan - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Anna can get together with Tawny Kitaen and start a house of crazy.

5. chip56 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

No she’s still a punch line. Just a different kind of joke.

6. thebadguyswon - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

White trash.

• blacksables - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

No, the white, female version of Milton Bradley.

She deserves the same level of abuse he got.

• thebadguyswon - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

How many felonies did Milton rack up?

7. chill1184 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Yikes

8. 3 Finger Lenny - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

She has to be great in the sack

• bigharold - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM

“She has to be great in the sack.”

Guns/bullet proof vest/expandable metal baton, .. nobody is that good.

• badintent - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Whips , chains, cuffs, brass beds, She’s in training.

9. paperlions - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

10. dondada10 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

“It is the future generation that presses into being by means of
    these exuberant feelings and supersensible soap bubbles of ours.”

—Schopenhauer

11. jayquintana - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I bet his parents are thinking, but not daring to say to him, “we TOLD you so.”

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Would this behavior be considered excessive by most? I always just thought that this was what exes do…

• chadjones27 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Remind me not to file those divorce papers.

13. villanyc - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I saw the mugshot. I highly doubt any player of the Mets will sleep with her now. But hey, it’s the Mets, you never know.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Wow. Saw that mugshot too. Lots of facial sores. Crystal meth user or just bad acne?

• ditto65 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I was thinking meth myself.

• romoscollarbone - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

She looks horrendous. It’s amazing what make up can do. But yes something is amiss with her complexion, meth, or who knows.

• badintent - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Meth , mixed with crack and tequila blend together with ice. TJ doubleheader

14. chadjones27 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

She went all Jack Bauer/ Jeff Gillooly

15. xpensivewinos - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Based on that mugshot, we can assume she’s been doing a lot of crack since we all saw her last…….Yikes!

16. thegonz13 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Probably would have been better off letting her sleep with the whole Mets roster…

17. chiadam - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM

um, yes…yes I am interested in such as things.

and I was right to be!

18. shawndc04 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Man, her mug shot says it all.

19. homegrowntalentmn - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Bill burr. “Now can I hit her”

20. Old Gator - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM

She’d make a great astronaut.

• slartibartfast4242 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM

All she’s missing is a diaper.

Then again, imagining Anna Benson clad in a diaper and a bullet proof vest toting a gun gives me a kinda perverse pleasure.

• slartibartfast4242 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM

ok, I take back what I said, I just saw the mug shot.

21. scoobies05 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM

does aaron hernandez know about this

22. tfbuckfutter - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

This is so very sad.

I really thought this was going to be the “Athlete marries a stripper who has four kids” story that had the fairy tale ending we’d all been pining for over the years.

Instead it is the “Athlete marries a stripper who has four kids” story that has the obvious ending everyone who has ever seen anything on earth happen ever was expecting.

23. modellforprez - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

None of that is suprising. She only used him. she was attention needy. My man used to sell her soft and sometimes she wouldnt have all the money and we would run Triz on that skank. she would slobnobs for shots at the club.

24. Stiller43 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

The hot ones are always crazy.

As are the non hot ones.

• beefytrout - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You know what they say…

Hot. Sane. Single.

Pick 2.

• indaburg - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

In all seriousness, seeing as how we, the fairer sex, are far more likely to be victimized by violent crime perpetrated by men, which is the crazy gender? Neither. Neither gender has a monopoly on assholes and lunatics.

But back to jokes. Louis CK has a great skit on this. He says that you as a man, imagine if you went on a date with a half bear/half lion. That’s kind of how it feels like for a woman, especially a petite one like me, when I go out on a date. “Gee, I hope this half bear/half lion is nice.” We take that risk. We get into a car alone with a half bear/half lion. Hey, maybe you’re right. We are the crazy ones!

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Excellent post Inda. Obviously…I never had to worry about such a thing. But I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from. In some cases…I am sure it was/is quite scary.

25. apmn - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I hate it when they use the word “star” instead of “reality-show idiot”.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic