Jul 8, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that the A’s are calling up Grant Green, who was the 13th overall pick in the 2009 draft out of USC and ranked among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects in 2010 and 2011.
He didn’t crack BA‘s top 100 last year or this year, but Green has upped his stock by hitting .318 with 11 homers, 25 doubles, and an .874 OPS in 81 games at Triple-A. It’s worth noting that he’s 25 years old and this is Green’s second go-around at Triple-A in a hitter-friendly environment, so he projects as merely a solid contributor rather than a middle-of-the-order bat.
Green was drafted as a shortstop and tried center field at one point, but he’s been playing exclusively second base this season. That means the A’s chose to call him up over ex-starting second baseman Jemile Weeks, another former first-round pick who’s spent all year in the minors.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)