Jul 8, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
With only five days remaining until the deadline to sign this year’s draft picks the Cubs and No. 2 overall pick Kris Bryant are still negotiating.
Here’s what general manager Jed Hoyer told Carrie Muskat of MLB.com:
There’s no update. We basically have four or five days left of discussions. We’re confident we’ll get it done. We’ll make it an exceptionally fair offer. If Kris wants to be a Cub and be a professional baseball player, I’m confident we’ll get a deal done. Sometimes it takes a deadline to make a deal, and we have a deadline coming up shortly. In a lot of ways, I think it’s a plus at this point.
The slot recommended bonus for the No. 2 pick is $6.7 million, but as of two weeks ago there were reports of the two sides being “nowhere close to a deal” as Bryant tried to exceed that amount. As a junior he could always go back to San Diego for another season, but it’ll be very difficult for Bryant to improve upon his ridiculous numbers this year and it’s pretty hard to move up a whole lot higher than the No. 2 pick anyway.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)