Jul 8, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
With only five days remaining until the deadline to sign this year’s draft picks the Cubs and No. 2 overall pick Kris Bryant are still negotiating.
Here’s what general manager Jed Hoyer told Carrie Muskat of MLB.com:
There’s no update. We basically have four or five days left of discussions. We’re confident we’ll get it done. We’ll make it an exceptionally fair offer. If Kris wants to be a Cub and be a professional baseball player, I’m confident we’ll get a deal done. Sometimes it takes a deadline to make a deal, and we have a deadline coming up shortly. In a lot of ways, I think it’s a plus at this point.
The slot recommended bonus for the No. 2 pick is $6.7 million, but as of two weeks ago there were reports of the two sides being “nowhere close to a deal” as Bryant tried to exceed that amount. As a junior he could always go back to San Diego for another season, but it’ll be very difficult for Bryant to improve upon his ridiculous numbers this year and it’s pretty hard to move up a whole lot higher than the No. 2 pick anyway.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)