Jul 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Manny Ramirez singled in three at-bats and walked once in his return to organized baseball with Triple-A Round Rock of the Rangers’ organization on Sunday night. Ramirez, a 12-time American League All-Star, singled in his first at-bat against hard-throwing right-hander Yordano Ventura with Omaha, of the Kansas City organization. Ramirez grounded into a fielder’s choice and struck out in four pitches in his next two at-bats.
There’s no timetable for Ramirez. And no risk for the Rangers. If he rakes like mad, fine, he can force his way onto the big league roster. If he’s no good or acts out or anything they can release him. Personally I want to see him play because, you know, Manny. But it seems like such a no-brainer to at least see what he has left.
Also: click through to the DMN article to see what Manny with (sorta) short hair an graying temples looks like.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)