Manny Ramirez singles and walks in his first Triple-A game

Jul 8, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

BASEBALL-TPE-US-RAMIREZ Getty Images

Woke up this morning vaguely thinking that the whole Manny Ramirez thing was merely a dream. Was sad until I saw this story in the Dallas Morning News which reminded me that, nope, it’s not a dream:

Manny Ramirez singled in three at-bats and walked once in his return to organized baseball with Triple-A Round Rock of the Rangers’ organization on Sunday night. Ramirez, a 12-time American League All-Star, singled in his first at-bat against hard-throwing right-hander Yordano Ventura with Omaha, of the Kansas City organization. Ramirez grounded into a fielder’s choice and struck out in four pitches in his next two at-bats.

There’s no timetable for Ramirez. And no risk for the Rangers. If he rakes like mad, fine, he can force his way onto the big league roster. If he’s no good or acts out or anything they can release him. Personally I want to see him play because, you know, Manny. But it seems like such a no-brainer to at least see what he has left.

Also: click through to the DMN article to see what Manny with (sorta) short hair an graying temples looks like.

1. dondada10 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Two things I love about the photo on the link:

1. Typical Manny being Manny, instead of his hat he has his elbow pad over his heart during the National Anthem.

2. Ricky Schroder is apparently trying to make the Rangers, as well.

• rollinghighwayblues - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Who’s Ricky Schroder? You certainly mean Newt, right?

2. rickdobrydney - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

This clown has no place in a major league game. Besides which, he’s finished.

3. sdelmonte - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

So in other words, he’s already ahead of A-Rod.

4. valarmorghuliss - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I only care enough to say I don’t care, and that the Rangers are a joke for giving someone so obviously done years ago, (literally YEARS ago) another shot.

5. kelshannon19 - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

It’s Monday and I still don’t care about Manny Ramirez.

6. eightyraw - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Ventura is MLB-ready, with a plus-plus fastball. I’m going to assume the first-pitch line-drive single came off Ventura’s fastball (which frequently hits 100mph). If this is the case, than this debut leaves me as optimistic as possible.

• kcrobert10 - Jul 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

While it would be amazing to have his arm on our rotation. Ventura is not major league ready He has only been in AAA for 2 months. His breaking ball and change need lots more work. Sure he throws 100 mph but he also has a very hard time getting out of the 5th inning. A lot of that may be due to high k rates but it worries me cause he won’t be able to blow away good hitters in the show. Last he is 6 foot tall rightie the only pitcher that size not end up in a bullpen roll perdro Martinez.

• eightyraw - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I don’t think he is MLB-ready as a starter either. And I know some people are concerned he’ll never be able to handle a starter’s workload. But I think he’d be able to hold his own in a bullpen role right now

7. coryfor3 - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Another PED guy for Craig to promote.

8. jwbiii - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Last season, Ramirez hit 302/348/349 in Sacramento. An empty .300 BA in the PCL for a guy with negative defensive value doesn’t thrill anybody. If he shows some power, then he’s a useful player.

9. sisisisisisisi - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Ramirez, with Triple-A Round Rock attempting a comeback of his own, noticed a flaw in Olt’s swing in the past few days. Olt, the Rangers’ top hitting prospect in the minors, made an adjustment and had a 2-for-3 night with two of the hardest-hit balls in Sunday night’s 4-0 victory over Omaha.

• eightyraw - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Manny is supposed to be fantastic as a mentor. Yoenis Cespedes thanked Manny in August of last year for all the support and insight he provided during spring training.

10. hwq1776a - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Wow. Manny looks like death warm over. The drugs must have been keeping him young.

11. thebigtim2012 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM

During his peak years this guy had the prettiest swing in all of baseball. And I know I’m not alone in that thought.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey