Jul 8, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Garza is an impending free agent who’s healthy for the first time since the middle of last season and pitching well, so the Cubs wanting to keep him around wouldn’t exactly be shocking.
Of course, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com had a similar report today as well, which suggests the Cubs are getting that information to the media. Why would they do that? Well, there’s been speculation about Garza being on the trading block for a long time now and when the Cubs are talking to other teams it would certainly help their leverage if potentially not trading Garza and instead keeping him long term was viewed as a legitimate possibility.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)