Jul 8, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Garza is an impending free agent who’s healthy for the first time since the middle of last season and pitching well, so the Cubs wanting to keep him around wouldn’t exactly be shocking.
Of course, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com had a similar report today as well, which suggests the Cubs are getting that information to the media. Why would they do that? Well, there’s been speculation about Garza being on the trading block for a long time now and when the Cubs are talking to other teams it would certainly help their leverage if potentially not trading Garza and instead keeping him long term was viewed as a legitimate possibility.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)