Jul 8, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
Garza is an impending free agent who’s healthy for the first time since the middle of last season and pitching well, so the Cubs wanting to keep him around wouldn’t exactly be shocking.
Of course, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com had a similar report today as well, which suggests the Cubs are getting that information to the media. Why would they do that? Well, there’s been speculation about Garza being on the trading block for a long time now and when the Cubs are talking to other teams it would certainly help their leverage if potentially not trading Garza and instead keeping him long term was viewed as a legitimate possibility.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)