Jul 8, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Well, we won’t have to worry about that logjam in the Dodgers’ outfield anytime soon.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Matt Kemp is headed to the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old outfielder was given a cortisone shot after he aggravated his surgically-repaired left shoulder during Friday’s game, but he still felt discomfort while trying to swing a bat today. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com that Kemp will be sent back to Los Angeles to be evaluated.
Kemp, who had surgery last October to repair his left labrum, is batting just .254/.309/.357 with four home runs, 24 RBI, and nine stolen bases in 61 games this season. He just returned from the disabled list two weeks ago after missing nearly a month with a hamstring injury. Nothing seems to be going his way.
If that wasn’t enough bad news, the Dodgers have also placed right-hander Stephen Fife on the disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Chris Capuano, who was expected to move to the bullpen following the acquisition of Ricky Nolasco, will now remain in the starting rotation.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)