Jul 8, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
Well, we won’t have to worry about that logjam in the Dodgers’ outfield anytime soon.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Matt Kemp is headed to the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old outfielder was given a cortisone shot after he aggravated his surgically-repaired left shoulder during Friday’s game, but he still felt discomfort while trying to swing a bat today. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com that Kemp will be sent back to Los Angeles to be evaluated.
Kemp, who had surgery last October to repair his left labrum, is batting just .254/.309/.357 with four home runs, 24 RBI, and nine stolen bases in 61 games this season. He just returned from the disabled list two weeks ago after missing nearly a month with a hamstring injury. Nothing seems to be going his way.
If that wasn’t enough bad news, the Dodgers have also placed right-hander Stephen Fife on the disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Chris Capuano, who was expected to move to the bullpen following the acquisition of Ricky Nolasco, will now remain in the starting rotation.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)