Jul 8, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Well, we won’t have to worry about that logjam in the Dodgers’ outfield anytime soon.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Matt Kemp is headed to the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old outfielder was given a cortisone shot after he aggravated his surgically-repaired left shoulder during Friday’s game, but he still felt discomfort while trying to swing a bat today. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com that Kemp will be sent back to Los Angeles to be evaluated.
Kemp, who had surgery last October to repair his left labrum, is batting just .254/.309/.357 with four home runs, 24 RBI, and nine stolen bases in 61 games this season. He just returned from the disabled list two weeks ago after missing nearly a month with a hamstring injury. Nothing seems to be going his way.
If that wasn’t enough bad news, the Dodgers have also placed right-hander Stephen Fife on the disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Chris Capuano, who was expected to move to the bullpen following the acquisition of Ricky Nolasco, will now remain in the starting rotation.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)