Jul 8, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Well, we won’t have to worry about that logjam in the Dodgers’ outfield anytime soon.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Matt Kemp is headed to the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old outfielder was given a cortisone shot after he aggravated his surgically-repaired left shoulder during Friday’s game, but he still felt discomfort while trying to swing a bat today. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com that Kemp will be sent back to Los Angeles to be evaluated.
Kemp, who had surgery last October to repair his left labrum, is batting just .254/.309/.357 with four home runs, 24 RBI, and nine stolen bases in 61 games this season. He just returned from the disabled list two weeks ago after missing nearly a month with a hamstring injury. Nothing seems to be going his way.
If that wasn’t enough bad news, the Dodgers have also placed right-hander Stephen Fife on the disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Chris Capuano, who was expected to move to the bullpen following the acquisition of Ricky Nolasco, will now remain in the starting rotation.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 19
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)