Jul 8, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Renfroe, a 22-year-old outfielder out of Mississippi State, was selected No. 13 overall in last month’s First-Year Player Draft. No word yet on the terms involved, but the recommended slot value for the pick is $2.678 million.
Here’s the write-up on Renfroe from our own Matthew Pouliot:
The first of the Hunters to go off the board, Renfroe is a toolsy right fielder with the power to hit balls out of Petco but also contact issues. He hit .352/.440/.634 with 15 homers for Mississippi State this year. He may not hit for a big average in the majors, but he could be a solid enough regular anyway. He’s the first outfielder taken in the top 15 by the Padres since Thomas Howard in 1986.
Assuming everything goes off without a hitch during Renfroe’s physical, that will leave Kris Bryant (Cubs – No. 2 overall), Colin Moran (Marlins – No. 6 overall), Phil Bickford (Blue Jays – No. 10 overall), and Aaron Judge (Yankees – No. 32 overall) as the only first-round picks unsigned from this year’s draft class.
UPDATE: Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that Renfroe will receive a $2,678,000 bonus, which matches the recommended slot value.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 35
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 9
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 31
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)