Jul 8, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Renfroe, a 22-year-old outfielder out of Mississippi State, was selected No. 13 overall in last month’s First-Year Player Draft. No word yet on the terms involved, but the recommended slot value for the pick is $2.678 million.
Here’s the write-up on Renfroe from our own Matthew Pouliot:
The first of the Hunters to go off the board, Renfroe is a toolsy right fielder with the power to hit balls out of Petco but also contact issues. He hit .352/.440/.634 with 15 homers for Mississippi State this year. He may not hit for a big average in the majors, but he could be a solid enough regular anyway. He’s the first outfielder taken in the top 15 by the Padres since Thomas Howard in 1986.
Assuming everything goes off without a hitch during Renfroe’s physical, that will leave Kris Bryant (Cubs – No. 2 overall), Colin Moran (Marlins – No. 6 overall), Phil Bickford (Blue Jays – No. 10 overall), and Aaron Judge (Yankees – No. 32 overall) as the only first-round picks unsigned from this year’s draft class.
UPDATE: Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that Renfroe will receive a $2,678,000 bonus, which matches the recommended slot value.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 28
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)