Jul 8, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Renfroe, a 22-year-old outfielder out of Mississippi State, was selected No. 13 overall in last month’s First-Year Player Draft. No word yet on the terms involved, but the recommended slot value for the pick is $2.678 million.
Here’s the write-up on Renfroe from our own Matthew Pouliot:
The first of the Hunters to go off the board, Renfroe is a toolsy right fielder with the power to hit balls out of Petco but also contact issues. He hit .352/.440/.634 with 15 homers for Mississippi State this year. He may not hit for a big average in the majors, but he could be a solid enough regular anyway. He’s the first outfielder taken in the top 15 by the Padres since Thomas Howard in 1986.
Assuming everything goes off without a hitch during Renfroe’s physical, that will leave Kris Bryant (Cubs – No. 2 overall), Colin Moran (Marlins – No. 6 overall), Phil Bickford (Blue Jays – No. 10 overall), and Aaron Judge (Yankees – No. 32 overall) as the only first-round picks unsigned from this year’s draft class.
UPDATE: Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that Renfroe will receive a $2,678,000 bonus, which matches the recommended slot value.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 70
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)