Roy Oswalt headed to the disabled list with hamstring injury

Jul 8, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

Roy Oswalt AP

Roy Oswalt left Sunday’s start in the second inning with a hamstring injury and Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies are expected to place him on the disabled list.

Oswalt signed a minor-league deal with the Rockies in early May and made five starts in the minors before being called up three weeks ago. He made four starts for Colorado, allowing 15 runs in 17.2 innings despite an excellent 23/2 K/BB ratio, and now figures to miss the rest of the month.

Dating back to last season Oswalt has a 6.22 ERA in 77 innings.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Whoever didn’t see this coming is a complete moron.

• jwbiii - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Yep. Aging, oft-injured pitcher is older and again injured.

• mondogarage - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Yeah, that 11.5:1 K/9 ratio sure indicates someone just can’t pitch anymore.

• jwbiii - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I didn’t say he can’t pitch. Just that he has trouble staying healthy.

2. professormaddog31 - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Hey, Roy. We’ve had some good times in the past, haven’t we? I always liked watching you pitch and I loved your snarky attitude over the years. For a while I considered you my favorite active player. But times have changed, son. You might be 35 but your back is 75, and from the looks of things the rest of you is about 55.

You had a good run, but now it just hurts to watch you out there. Please retire. And I mean that with nothing but a lot of respect. You’re not doing yourself any favors. :(

• beefytrout - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Teams are still throwing millions at this guy. So he’s doing himself one favor…

3. sheriffpeyton18 - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I was at the game yesterday. I’m just glad I saw his final game. Wow Roy what a roller coaster run!

4. braddavery - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Good thing they got rid of Jon Garland for this amazing production from Oswalt.

Orioles turn AL East on its head