Jul 8, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’s expected to miss 6-8 weeks, which would knock Howard out until at least late August and possibly the remainder of the season if any setbacks occur.
Last season Howard struggled after returning from a torn Achilles’ tendon and he got off to a slow start this season as well, but since June 1 he’d hit .287 with four homers and an .885 OPS in 30 games. Overall since coming back from the torn Achilles’ tendon that occurred during the 2011 playoffs Howard has hit just .244 with a .752 OPS in 151 games, which is a 150-point dropoff from his career OPS.
Howard, who’ll be 34 years old in November, is making $20 million this season and the Phillies owe him $25 million per season for 2014, 2015, and 2016, plus a $23 million team option or $10 million buyout for 2017.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 11
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 46
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 51
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)