Jul 8, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’s expected to miss 6-8 weeks, which would knock Howard out until at least late August and possibly the remainder of the season if any setbacks occur.
Last season Howard struggled after returning from a torn Achilles’ tendon and he got off to a slow start this season as well, but since June 1 he’d hit .287 with four homers and an .885 OPS in 30 games. Overall since coming back from the torn Achilles’ tendon that occurred during the 2011 playoffs Howard has hit just .244 with a .752 OPS in 151 games, which is a 150-point dropoff from his career OPS.
Howard, who’ll be 34 years old in November, is making $20 million this season and the Phillies owe him $25 million per season for 2014, 2015, and 2016, plus a $23 million team option or $10 million buyout for 2017.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 41
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 72
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 26
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 132
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 32
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 110
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 89
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (112)