Some Braves players think the All-Star voting process is unfair

Jul 8, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT

Yasiel Puig Getty Images

Only one Braves player made the All-Star team and that was because the manager put him on there. As far as fan voting goes? They didn’t do so good.

Dave O’Brien of the AJC talked to a bunch of them yesterday and many voiced their displeasure at fan voting. Both in the main selection process and the “Final Vote” which is putting Freddie Freeman against Yasiel Puig. And they think the media — specifically ESPN — has an agenda to get more media-friendly players selected. Guys like Yasiel Puig.

Tim Hudson pretty much covers it all:

“I think it’s B.S. … I mean, it’s pretty obvious what players certain media outlets want to have plugged in. It’s pretty obvious. You have young, exciting players – and they are that. I’m not saying they don’t deserve to have the opportunity to be in there, but these guys that are competing with them to get these last couple of spots, they’re just as deserving. It’s not fair. The whole fan vote thing, I think is obnoxious. I mean, the starting players in the All-Star game are determined by fans who can plug any players they want in there, and it determines home-field advantage for the World Series. The World Series!

“It’s not fair. At all.”

Seriously, Tim. Tell me if you think it’s fair.

He has a point (which he goes on to explain in greater detail) about how, if the World Series hinges on the All-Star game, there shouldn’t be a fan vote. Problem is, I’m willing to bet $100 that if a Braves player was the media sensation du jour a la Puig — let’s say a pre-injury Evan Gattis — Hudson wouldn’t be complaining too much.

It’s a flawed process, yes, but most of the complaining you hear about it is just tribalism and homerism. Our guy deserves it, theirs doesn’t. If the fans vote for us it’s an honor, if they vote for the other guys it’s illegitimate. Here it’s the Braves doing it. I’ve seen other teams do it every year since I’ve been paying attention.

It stinks that the All-Star Game decides home field advantage. But really, it’s just for fun. I’d rather see some hyped kid like Puig in it over someone else, frankly, because Puig is interesting and the game doesn’t matter otherwise. And if I’m Hudson, I’d be quietly pleased that my teammates were getting three days off to relax and get healthy.

1. jm91rs - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Probably just due to the nature of playing defense in baseball versus the nature of playing D in the other sports, but the MLB all star game is the single most popular of all major American Sports all star games. I don’t think the process is broken. The All Star game is a nice break from serious play, but is primarily a chance for fans to see most of the best players face other greats. It’s fun, it’s for the fans. Chill Out.

2. tbutler704 - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Bud Selig is retarded.

3. dowhatifeellike - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Cry me a river. Atlanta is one of the largest single-team metro areas in the country. The process isn’t flawed, the fans just didn’t get out the vote.

4. therealtrenches - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Braves fans are notoriously inattentive until September. That’s what these players should be pissed about.

• joshtrader - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I encourage you to look at the attendance figures posted below in my comment to Jimmy; the numbers objectively disprove your subjective (and obviously biased) statement. Regular season attendance 10th or better for the last 20 years.

5. db105 - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Really?

6. tbutler704 - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I’m going to spend all week voting for Frederick Freeman.

7. jimmymarlinsfan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Try winning a World Series every now and then. That will help will playoff game attendance and all star voting.

Signed,
    The rest of the world laughing at the Braves

• joshtrader - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Really Jimmy, “marlins fan,” fan of the team tied for the worst record in the bigs?

Marlins home attendance rank in the majors for last 10 seasons is:
      18th, 29th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 30th, 30th, 28th, 26th, 28th (and this was the world series year!)?

Braves:
      8th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 10th, 10th, 9th, 10th, 10th, 7th for the last 10 seasons.

I don’t have the playoff game attendance, but I assure you that the combined playoff game attendance for the Braves in the last 20 years dwarfs the 6 playoff series your team has been in since its inception. You can jabber about world series titles, but Turner Field and Fulton County Stadium have had a steady inflow of fans over the last 25 years, never below 2.3 million attendance in a season, and the Marlins have only once (their first year) had an attendance above that number. So the Braves worst fan-supported season is better than every season for the Marlins except the first. Puts it in perspective, doesn’t it?

• jimmymarlinsfan - Jul 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

No argument on the winning a World Series part of my comment. They have as much chance of winning a title as the Marlins do

8. km9000 - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:00 AM

I’d rather see them get rid of the “1 per team” requirement first, it’s outdated.

I agree that it’s kind of ridiculous to have the winner decide WS home field. What if the game’s MVP gets traded to the other league, and ends up losing game 7 of the WS on the road? And a single game is basically a coin flip anyway. The Marlins could beat StL in a single game.

All the supposed outrage over that tie game always struck me as fans and media complaining just because it seemed like they were supposed to, but deep down they knew it was just an exhibition.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4079)