Jul 8, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times does this every year: a list of player who (a) suddenly stink; and (b) have no injuries that we know of or any other explanation for stinking. They’re the All-Collapse All-Stars.
Usually these are players in their 30s who are hitting a Dale Murphyesque wall. This year’s has someone as young as 23. If you can guess who it is I will comp you one year’s worth of the HardballTalk subscription fee.
Fun list. Except if your team just gave a $75 million contract to one of the players named on it.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)