Jul 8, 2013, 8:53 AM EST
Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times does this every year: a list of player who (a) suddenly stink; and (b) have no injuries that we know of or any other explanation for stinking. They’re the All-Collapse All-Stars.
Usually these are players in their 30s who are hitting a Dale Murphyesque wall. This year’s has someone as young as 23. If you can guess who it is I will comp you one year’s worth of the HardballTalk subscription fee.
Fun list. Except if your team just gave a $75 million contract to one of the players named on it.
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 2
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)