The best first pitch you’ll see in some time

Jul 8, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

At the Tigers-Indians game on Saturday Indians legend Omar Vizquel threw out the first pitch. He sailed the thing all the way to the backstop. This guy was a major leaguer less than a year ago and he couldn’t throw a ball to another player standing 60 feet away. It was … bad.

This first pitch, from a game in Japan on Friday, however, was not bad. It was all kinds of good. Even if it hurts every muscle in my body to watch it:

1. mattintoledo - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Balk!

• blacksables - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I didn’t see any runners on base. To be fair, I didn’t see the batter, the catcher, or the grandstands behind them.

• mattintoledo - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I just meant because she wasn’t on the mound.

2. cohnjusack - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Holy god…people bend that way?

Pause at exactly 44 seconds to see….lament your inability to touch your own toes.

3. choopatch - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Come on Craig!!! It is a South Korean baseball game!

Research!!

• blacksables - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Reminds of one night in Itaewon. Or maybe it was two nights?

• silencegooddoer - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Very amusing. Although I cannot believe Craig is reporting Omar’s pitch as bad! It was a planned joke on Carlos Baerga between Omar and Alvaro Espinoza, the 1990’s Indian jokester utility infeilder who was standing at the backstop to catch the pitch. It was a great prank between them as they were all honored by the Indians over the weekend. Lighten up Craig!!!

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Well, given that I was in the stands for it I didn’t exactly get the context.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I think the mascot and it’s pose at the beginning of the video should have tipped him off.

4. bfunk1978 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Pfft, showoff. I could’ve done that.

• bfunk1978 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

OK, OK, you caught me. I can’t do that. I would die when I fell on my noggin.

• nelsonsaint - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

5. stairwayto7 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Will u marry me!

6. coloradogolfcoupons - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

What deception! If she wears a tank top and short-shorts, she would be unhittable!

• beefytrout - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

She’s already unhittable…. none of us have a shot.

7. sabatimus - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I love how the crowd starts cheering BEFORE she performs her athleticism–i.e. when she sticks her chest and butt out :D

8. number42is1 - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I think I’m in love!

9. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Y’all are nuts, this is the best first pitch ever. He even threw a strike (and also did it in a far more difficult way than the rhythmic gymnast)

• cohnjusack - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Meh….she incorporated her gymnastics into the pitch. He just kind of jumped then threw.

Though, speaking as someone who once got a hernia doing Tae Bo (yes, that Tae Bo…I got a hernia while kicking and punching the air), they are both obviously pretty incredible.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM

“, that Tae Bo…I got a hernia while kicking and punching the air”

Your admission is what makes the comment hilarious.

Somewhere, Billy Blanks is smiling.

10. cur68 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My daughter did rhythmic gymnastics for 5 years. I showed her that and she said “Meh. She nearly fell over after the delivery and it looked high to me. Also, she got nothing on the throw. I doubt the catcher’s glove even popped.” Jealousy is an ugly emotion.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

While visually impressive there’s a reason our pitchers do not try to touch their foreheads to their toes while trying to throw 95 MPH fastballs for strikes.

• cur68 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Yep. Kid threw pretty well, considering the contortion. But jealous 17 year old daughters are not to be reasoned with. You will learn this, Grasshopper. You will learn this well.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Pshaw that’s describing most jealous human beings of any age. Present company included.

• cur68 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Your naiveté is charming, my friend. Charming. 17 years old girls bring an extra dimension to jealousy that will leave you wondering for their sanity. But you comfort yourself with that “everyone does it” logic. It’ll get your through the next 15 years. After that? Good luck.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

You forget, once upon a time I used to date 17 year old jealous teenagers. No sense worrying about bridges that must crossed more than decade from now. I’d worry about that wheel-chair and old-age home your daughter will conspire to put you in 15 years from now to get a hold of your Faux-Bu collection and assorted baseball paraphernalia.

• cur68 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM

>gasp!< Not Faux-Bu! He stays with me! I'll disown her.

• stex52 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Sadly, Cur, in your case your daughter will be able to claim dementia and have you committed. She need merely call attention to our many HBT conversations as solid evidence for all of us.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Heck and I have a BLOG, we’re all screwed.

• paperlions - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I think Cur actually has di-mentia. Mono-mentia is standard, so…he’s like….twice as good….or something.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You forget, once upon a time I used to date 17 year old jealous teenagers

Hi, I’m Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC. I’d like you to have a seat over here please…

Kidding, way too easy to take that out of context :)

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

LOL! Well done good sir.

11. yahmule - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I saw Luis Tiant do that once.

12. RickyB - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:22 PM

If she thinks of clowns the way men think of gymnasts, I think I have a shot!

• RickyB - Jul 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Wow did I screw that up. I meant comedians, not clowns. Completely messed up that reference. I’ll go hide my head in shame …

• Anoesis - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM

It’s just as funny both ways.

13. buggieowens - Jul 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM

You had me at South Korean rhythmic gymnast. This may be the sexiest sports video I’ve seen since that Australian sprinter at the last Olympics.

14. stlouis1baseball - Jul 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I am now a big…big fan of South Korean Gymnastics.
    Rhythmic or otherwise. In fact…the more rhythm the better.

All the trade deadline news to know