Jul 8, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
The Phillies took two of three from the first place Braves over the weekend, but Saturday’s loss was a rout and Ruben Amaro did not take at all well to the Phillies smiling and joking around during said rout. Todd Zolecki from MLB.com reports:
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said Friday the team needs to play well before the All-Star break or there could be changes to the 25-man roster. So when the front office watched players giddily shower Jonathan Pettibone with sunflower seeds and place a batting helmet and paper cup (with gum as an adhesive) atop his head Saturday during a FOX in-game interview in a 13-4 loss to Atlanta, it did not sit well.
It sparked Amaro and manager Charlie Manuel to call a team meeting before Sunday’s game.
When a team is struggling and pressing managers and front office types tell them they need to loosen up and have fun out there. When they loosen up and have fun they get a talking-to. Gee whiz.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 1
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 25
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)