Jul 8, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
The Phillies took two of three from the first place Braves over the weekend, but Saturday’s loss was a rout and Ruben Amaro did not take at all well to the Phillies smiling and joking around during said rout. Todd Zolecki from MLB.com reports:
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said Friday the team needs to play well before the All-Star break or there could be changes to the 25-man roster. So when the front office watched players giddily shower Jonathan Pettibone with sunflower seeds and place a batting helmet and paper cup (with gum as an adhesive) atop his head Saturday during a FOX in-game interview in a 13-4 loss to Atlanta, it did not sit well.
It sparked Amaro and manager Charlie Manuel to call a team meeting before Sunday’s game.
When a team is struggling and pressing managers and front office types tell them they need to loosen up and have fun out there. When they loosen up and have fun they get a talking-to. Gee whiz.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 6
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 35
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)