Jul 8, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
Personally, I’d prefer (a) no music at the Home Run Derby; (b) a brass ensemble or a recorded orchestra doing the National Anthem; and (b) an organist leading “Take me out to the Ballgame” during the seventh inning stretch, but Major League Baseball announced alternative plans today:
Candice Glover will perform the national anthem before Major League Baseball’s All-Star game. Marc Anthony will sing “God Bless America” during the seventh inning July 16 at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets.Glover won the 12th season of “American Idol.”
MLB also announced Monday that Pitbull will perform on the field before the Home Run Derby on July 15.
I will be on-site in New York for all of that. If you need me, I’ll be the one wearing earbuds and listening to Neil Young and Pixies and Big Star and stuff.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (158)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)