Jul 8, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
Personally, I’d prefer (a) no music at the Home Run Derby; (b) a brass ensemble or a recorded orchestra doing the National Anthem; and (b) an organist leading “Take me out to the Ballgame” during the seventh inning stretch, but Major League Baseball announced alternative plans today:
Candice Glover will perform the national anthem before Major League Baseball’s All-Star game. Marc Anthony will sing “God Bless America” during the seventh inning July 16 at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets.Glover won the 12th season of “American Idol.”
MLB also announced Monday that Pitbull will perform on the field before the Home Run Derby on July 15.
I will be on-site in New York for all of that. If you need me, I’ll be the one wearing earbuds and listening to Neil Young and Pixies and Big Star and stuff.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 0
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 99
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 17
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 23
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39