Jul 8, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
Personally, I’d prefer (a) no music at the Home Run Derby; (b) a brass ensemble or a recorded orchestra doing the National Anthem; and (b) an organist leading “Take me out to the Ballgame” during the seventh inning stretch, but Major League Baseball announced alternative plans today:
Candice Glover will perform the national anthem before Major League Baseball’s All-Star game. Marc Anthony will sing “God Bless America” during the seventh inning July 16 at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets.Glover won the 12th season of “American Idol.”
MLB also announced Monday that Pitbull will perform on the field before the Home Run Derby on July 15.
I will be on-site in New York for all of that. If you need me, I’ll be the one wearing earbuds and listening to Neil Young and Pixies and Big Star and stuff.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 9
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 11
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 23
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)