The singing talent at the All-Star Game has been announced

Jul 8, 2013, 3:35 PM EST

Pitbull

Personally, I’d prefer (a) no music at the Home Run Derby; (b) a brass ensemble or a recorded orchestra doing the National Anthem; and (b) an organist leading “Take me out to the Ballgame” during the seventh inning stretch, but Major League Baseball announced alternative plans today:

Candice Glover will perform the national anthem before Major League Baseball’s All-Star game. Marc Anthony will sing “God Bless America” during the seventh inning July 16 at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets.Glover won the 12th season of “American Idol.”

MLB also announced Monday that Pitbull will perform on the field before the Home Run Derby on July 15.

I will be on-site in New York for all of that. If you need me, I’ll be the one wearing earbuds and listening to Neil Young and Pixies and Big Star and stuff.

1. theinconvienenttruth - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM

No Beyonce?

2. pjmitch - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Pitbull? I think others are right, Baseball is losing whatever soul it might have had.

• tuberippin - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Pitbull: Neither a singer, nor talented.

3. thekingdave - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Craig is just operating on a higher level than the rest of us. Btw, have you ever heard of this band called the Arcade Fire?

• Ben - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Welcome to the 2011 Grammys!

4. paperlions - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM

So…they announced both the singing talent and Pitbull.

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Is that the nicely groomed man in the photo? He looks sharp.

• paperlions - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Indeed. I’ve only ever seen him in commercials. I understand he is supposed to sing or something, in the commercials he just stands on stage and pumps his fist.

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I don’t know that I recall any commercials I’ve seen with him. That’s a nice shirt though.

• paperlions - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM

As others stated, I believe they are always bud light commercials….very very commonly played during televised football and hockey games.

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Oh, so I’m never gonna see them. :)

• paperlions - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM

If you feel the need to punish yourself, there is always youtube

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I may put it on the list, but I’m rather busy.

• eightyraw - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Pitbull is also a prominent spokesperson for Dr Pepper

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I guess I don’t watch enough television.

• eightyraw - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

And he’s in a Fiat commercial. I guess I watch too much TV

• historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Maybe it’s the kind of show you watch. I’m sure they pick shows to hit their target audience…which is apparently you, dude. Congrats!

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM

When he “performs” he also stands on stage and pumps his fist. Oh…and he jumps straight up and down a lot too.

Qualification:
      I only know this because I went to a New Years Eve party a couple of years ago and the hosts had several middle school and high school aged girls in their family.
      They made me watch this dude pump his fists and jump straight up and down.

5. bgrillz - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I wish I had 4 hands so I could give this announcement 4 thumbs down!

6. kjericho43 - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Pitbull and Chris Berman. So much talent. Gonna be a great Derby!

7. wpjohnson - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:50 PM

The ridiculous halftime show at the Super Bowl is an embarrassment. It would be nice for baseball to take a more responsible approach.

• blues1988 - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM

i don’t know about you but i really enjoyed watching the halftime show on mute. beyonce looked great.

8. thegonz13 - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Thank you for specifying who Candice Glover was. I had no idea she won American Idol… nor did I care all that much.

• thinkfirstthenspeak - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I had no idea American Idol has lasted 12 seasons.

9. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

It’s a baseball game. Not a musical. Stop trying to inject these ridiculous performances into our sports. It’s just as bad as that horrible Superbowl Halftime show year in and year out. Guys, less is more. Learn that. Baseball is supposed to be about the simple things in life, sitting in a park on a Sunday afternoon with a pencil, paper, and bag of peanuts. Why does everything have to be a spectacle these days?

• eightyraw - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Actually, the HR derby is not a baseball game. And the All-Star Weekend is a spectacle by design.

• gloccamorra - Jul 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM

In the old days, they’d provide music from a steam calliope.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Those were the days! Back then, those young ruffians would stay off my damn lawn too!

10. brockohol - Jul 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

damnit! pitbull already ruined my hockey season with those dumb ass bud light commercials that sounded like he was singing about…tacos??? they literally played at every commercial break. I counted 19 one game. good job bud light… I have refused to drink your beer because of this and now I won’t watch the hr derby

• tuberippin - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

“with those dumb ass bud light commercials that sounded like he was singing about…tacos???”

“No pare la fiesta” = “Don’t stop the party”

11. rickdobrydney - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Even more of a reason NOT to watch the All-Star game—–

12. thomas844 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I can’t wait for the ASG uniforms to come out so you can write an article saying how bad you think they look.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

They’ve been out for a while and yes, they are terrible.

13. historiophiliac - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Don’t do it, Marc! Don’t do it!

/pouts

14. romoscollarbone - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM

the National Anthem should always be performed by a military band/choir/ensemble. they never lipsync and always do a masterful job. if you wanna trot out some halftime/7th inning stretch entertainment go for it, but certain things should be respected.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You make a good point and I know her performance was lip synched but I submit to you…….Whitney Houston, Super Bowl, January, 1991.

• romoscollarbone - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

That was a special circumstance. Gulf War, patriotism at an all time high. She built a roof over the Rose Bowl and then blew it off. But instances like that are few and far between.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Romo, are you seriously suggesting we treat our National Anthem as if it was our … National Anthem?

15. eightyraw - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Mr. Worldwide? Dale!

16. mjames1229 - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

At least the Home Run Derby and All-Star games are exhibitions.

Neil Diamond sang his new song in the 3rd inning of the Brewers / Nationals game on July 4th.

17. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Does Pitbull do any performing other than commercials and special events? Judging by the quality of his performances at said special events and commercials, I would guess not.

I completely disagree with Craig on the music thing though. I love having performances for the Anthem and even God Bless America. In a city like New York, though, with at least 6 opera companies, dozens of Broadway shows, at three of the world’s top conservatories and thousands of other talented musicians, why do they pump in canned Kate Smith?

• eightyraw - Jul 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, Mr. Worldwide doesn’t tour …

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I’ll give the guy credit for this one though:

18. fishfiletkray - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Pitbull actually made some decent music when he was an unknown rapper. Then, like a lot of other artists, went pop to earn the big bucks. I’m personally not a big fan but he deserves props for all the success he’s had. I know it’s tough for a lot of people to do since its easier to hate.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Pitbull is horrible. His name is horrible. And you are horrible for not even recognizing it. Allow me to show you what music really sounds like.

That’s music. Very different than the yelling into a mic while synthetic “music” plays in the background to your Pitbull.

19. mplsjoe - Jul 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Craig, while Pitbull is “performing,” see if you can figure out whether Kim Deal sings backup on the new Pixies track “Bagboy.” She recently quit the band, and Black Francis swears it’s not her voice on the track. But gosh darn if the person crooning “bagboy…” doesn’t sound an awful lot like her.

20. philliesblow - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Kudos on the Big Star choice.

Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes ’round.

21. 13arod - Jul 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Pitbull is one o my favorite singers he is better then beyonce

22. tbutler704 - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I’d rather hear Bud Selig do a terrible Sinatra impersonation than Pitbull. Good thing I never watch the HR derby.

23. tbutler704 - Jul 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Why didn’t they ask Neil Diamond to come sing that pedophile anthem that Red Sox fans love so much?

Neil Diamond should be in jail.

24. Jonny 5 - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Bulldog is a fine example of what’s wrong with “music” today.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3297)
  2. J. Kang (3123)
  3. C. McGehee (2839)
  4. J. Upton (2821)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2814)
  1. D. Ross (2623)