Jul 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Adam Eaton was supposed to open this season as Arizona’s starting center fielder and leadoff man.
It’s three months late, but he’s finally in that role.
According to television reporter Jody Jackson of FOX Sports Arizona, Eaton, who suffered a sprained UCL in his left elbow during the middle of spring training, has officially been activated from the disabled list and is batting leadoff and starting in center field on Tuesday night against the Dodgers.
The Diamondbacks have a crowded outfield at the moment with Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, Cody Ross, A.J. Pollock and Martin Prado all in good health, but Eaton carries exciting upside and should get something resembling everyday at-bats. The athletic 24-year-old from Springfield, Ohio hit .259/.382/.412 with two homers, two stolen bases and 19 runs scored in 103 plate appearances last season for the Snakes.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)