Jul 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Adam Eaton was supposed to open this season as Arizona’s starting center fielder and leadoff man.
It’s three months late, but he’s finally in that role.
According to television reporter Jody Jackson of FOX Sports Arizona, Eaton, who suffered a sprained UCL in his left elbow during the middle of spring training, has officially been activated from the disabled list and is batting leadoff and starting in center field on Tuesday night against the Dodgers.
The Diamondbacks have a crowded outfield at the moment with Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, Cody Ross, A.J. Pollock and Martin Prado all in good health, but Eaton carries exciting upside and should get something resembling everyday at-bats. The athletic 24-year-old from Springfield, Ohio hit .259/.382/.412 with two homers, two stolen bases and 19 runs scored in 103 plate appearances last season for the Snakes.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (120)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)