Jul 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Adam Eaton was supposed to open this season as Arizona’s starting center fielder and leadoff man.
It’s three months late, but he’s finally in that role.
According to television reporter Jody Jackson of FOX Sports Arizona, Eaton, who suffered a sprained UCL in his left elbow during the middle of spring training, has officially been activated from the disabled list and is batting leadoff and starting in center field on Tuesday night against the Dodgers.
The Diamondbacks have a crowded outfield at the moment with Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, Cody Ross, A.J. Pollock and Martin Prado all in good health, but Eaton carries exciting upside and should get something resembling everyday at-bats. The athletic 24-year-old from Springfield, Ohio hit .259/.382/.412 with two homers, two stolen bases and 19 runs scored in 103 plate appearances last season for the Snakes.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)