Jul 9, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb took another step in his recovery from a June 15 concussion yesterday when he threw a 47-pitch bullpen session, nearly doubling the workload from his first throwing session last week.
However, a month after being hit in the head by a line drive there’s still no timetable for his return from the disabled list and Cobb indicated that he continues to experience some post-concussion symptoms despite feeling significantly better overall, telling Bill Chastain of MLB.com:
The way I feel off the field versus the last time I threw a bullpen is 10 times better. There isn’t a huge difference on the mound. I felt good enough last time, even when I didn’t feel great off the field. That’s a good sign. Pitching isn’t as taxing on my head as I thought it would be.
I think most of the symptoms are gone. I still experience a little vertigo randomly, but you can’t even compare how much better I am from where I was. I’m extremely anxious to get out there and face hitters. There is no concern in my mind right now that I’ll be worried. I would like to get out there as soon as possible.
Cobb has talked about returning next month, but his “I still experience a little vertigo randomly” quote makes mapping anything out sort of moot for now.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)