Jul 9, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb took another step in his recovery from a June 15 concussion yesterday when he threw a 47-pitch bullpen session, nearly doubling the workload from his first throwing session last week.
However, a month after being hit in the head by a line drive there’s still no timetable for his return from the disabled list and Cobb indicated that he continues to experience some post-concussion symptoms despite feeling significantly better overall, telling Bill Chastain of MLB.com:
The way I feel off the field versus the last time I threw a bullpen is 10 times better. There isn’t a huge difference on the mound. I felt good enough last time, even when I didn’t feel great off the field. That’s a good sign. Pitching isn’t as taxing on my head as I thought it would be.
I think most of the symptoms are gone. I still experience a little vertigo randomly, but you can’t even compare how much better I am from where I was. I’m extremely anxious to get out there and face hitters. There is no concern in my mind right now that I’ll be worried. I would like to get out there as soon as possible.
Cobb has talked about returning next month, but his “I still experience a little vertigo randomly” quote makes mapping anything out sort of moot for now.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)