Jul 9, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb took another step in his recovery from a June 15 concussion yesterday when he threw a 47-pitch bullpen session, nearly doubling the workload from his first throwing session last week.
However, a month after being hit in the head by a line drive there’s still no timetable for his return from the disabled list and Cobb indicated that he continues to experience some post-concussion symptoms despite feeling significantly better overall, telling Bill Chastain of MLB.com:
The way I feel off the field versus the last time I threw a bullpen is 10 times better. There isn’t a huge difference on the mound. I felt good enough last time, even when I didn’t feel great off the field. That’s a good sign. Pitching isn’t as taxing on my head as I thought it would be.
I think most of the symptoms are gone. I still experience a little vertigo randomly, but you can’t even compare how much better I am from where I was. I’m extremely anxious to get out there and face hitters. There is no concern in my mind right now that I’ll be worried. I would like to get out there as soon as possible.
Cobb has talked about returning next month, but his “I still experience a little vertigo randomly” quote makes mapping anything out sort of moot for now.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (184)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)