Jul 9, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb took another step in his recovery from a June 15 concussion yesterday when he threw a 47-pitch bullpen session, nearly doubling the workload from his first throwing session last week.
However, a month after being hit in the head by a line drive there’s still no timetable for his return from the disabled list and Cobb indicated that he continues to experience some post-concussion symptoms despite feeling significantly better overall, telling Bill Chastain of MLB.com:
The way I feel off the field versus the last time I threw a bullpen is 10 times better. There isn’t a huge difference on the mound. I felt good enough last time, even when I didn’t feel great off the field. That’s a good sign. Pitching isn’t as taxing on my head as I thought it would be.
I think most of the symptoms are gone. I still experience a little vertigo randomly, but you can’t even compare how much better I am from where I was. I’m extremely anxious to get out there and face hitters. There is no concern in my mind right now that I’ll be worried. I would like to get out there as soon as possible.
Cobb has talked about returning next month, but his “I still experience a little vertigo randomly” quote makes mapping anything out sort of moot for now.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)