Jul 9, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Alfonso Soriano is finally showing some signs of life lately, going 16-for-42 (.381) with six homers and four doubles in the last 10 games to bring his overall numbers toward respectability.
And since the Cubs have been looking to trade him for years now the subject is once again being talked about in Chicago, where Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports that Soriano is willing to waive his no-trade clause if a contender comes calling.
Or as Soriano phrased it:
I don’t want to be on this team if they don’t want me here. It’s kind of hard and selfish to think [that way]. If they want me to stay here, I’m going to stay here. But if they don’t want me to, the door is open.
Soriano added that it would have to be a “contender” for him to consider the move, but of course non-contenders aren’t going to trade for a 37-year-old left fielder with a .750 OPS owed another $9 million or so for this season and $18 million for next season. And to get any contenders interested the Cubs would no doubt have to eat a significant portion of that remaining money.
Soriano is hitting .263 with a .289 on-base percentage and .459 slugging percentage in 82 games overall, offering good power (13 homers, 22 doubles) and horrendous plate discipline (77 strikeouts, 10 walks).
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)