Cardinals release $5 million signing Ty Wigginton

Jul 9, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cardinals have released Wigginton, meaning they paid $5 million for 63 terrible plate appearances.

==========

St. Louis signing Ty Wigginton to a two-year, $5 million deal was one of the bigger head-scratchers of the offseason, because the Cardinals are normally really smart and … well, Wigginton has been pretty awful for a while now.

He’s barely played all season, logging just 63 total plate appearances, but Wigginton has hit .158 and Derrick Gould of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that the Cardinals are already regretting the signing to the point that they’re thinking about cutting bait on the 35-year-old veteran.

Combined during the past five seasons Wigginton has hit .247 with a .311 on-base percentage and .397 slugging percentage, all while being a sub par defender anywhere but first base. And yet he’s gotten nearly 2,000 plate appearances during that time while being paid about $16 million.

1. theinconvienenttruth - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

“He gone”

2. digbysellers - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

This move baffled me from the start…truly curious move by an otherwise good front office personnel group. They could’ve signed anybody else who comments in this section to do basically the same thing for $100 bucks. I’d certainly give it a go as soon as I finish my grilled cheese.

• dwrek5 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Bad move, but I do give them credit for admitting and cutting their losses to open up the roster. Rather than live in denial for the next season and a half.

3. Francisco (FC) - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

All MLB teams have to have at least one awful signing. I saw it somewhere in the CBA.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Yes, but unfortunately, not all bad signings are created equally :)

I always used this signing as the real benchmark of how insane salaries have gotten.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

At least it was only 5 million. The Yankees have A-Rod and $200 million in regret.

4. okwhitefalcon - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Local talking heads seem to think Wiggy might accept assignment to AAA Memphis with either Brock Peterson or Rob Johnson (if Molina gets an extended vacay due to the balky knee) getting the call up.

It seems Ryan Jackson is a possibility as well but not likely, no plans as of yet to move away from Koz/Descalso at SS for now.

All subject to change of course.

5. spudchukar - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM

My Agnosticism is once again challenged, since my prayer has been answered.

• paperlions - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Which god(s) did you pray to? Did you just pray to one, in which case, we’ll know who to thank? Or did you broad cast it out to all potential deities, in which case the truly merciful one shall remain unknown?

• spudchukar - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM

In order to cover all bases, the prayer went out to any entity in the known Cosmos. Hey, I was desperate, and didn’t want to exclude any possible listeners. In fact “deity” would be restrictive, so any supernatural being was included in my plea be it benevolent or evil.

• paperlions - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Very wise. Desperate times, desperate measures.

• spudchukar - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

That said, it could still be a random event, uninfluenced by any known force. Thus, my agnosticism will remain relevant.

• paperlions - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Indeed, one could argue that if some benevolent force did act in response to your prayer, the fact that it did not reveal itself suggests that if it exists, it wants you to remain agnostic.

6. specialkindofstupid - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Good. Now he can finally concentrate full time on his gig as host of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

7. okwhitefalcon - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Wiggy has been released with C Rob Johnson getting the call up per Derrick Goold.

8. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM

” ….meaning they paid $5 million for 63 terrible plate appearances.”

In other words, far better then the B.J. Upton deal

9. cohnjusack - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Honestly, I completely forgot he was even on the team.

10. okwhitefalcon - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

ESPN 101 has the Johnson call up pointing at Yadi being sat down for at least a few more days but available to PH.

Whether it’s a cautionary call up or a major concern call up isn’t clear as of yet.

Let’s hope this isn’t another minimal medical report that goes south on Molina..

11. xmatt0926x - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I don’t think anyone understood that signing. What did they see from him when he played for the Phillies that made them think he could contribute? Awful defense, lousy hitter, out of shape. He always struck me as a beer bellied slob who should be playing in a bar league somewhere.

12. deathmonkey41 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I’m sure he’ll see B. CASHMAN showing up on his caller ID sometime soon.

13. 13arod - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Not as stupied as the cubs signing edwin jackson for 50 million

• spudchukar - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I was going to say that no that one was 10 times worse, but that number is only accurate if they would cut EJ immediately, unfortunately as the days and years progress the degree of “worseness” only increases.

14. 13arod - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Francisco (FC) tampa has made a bad signing and never will

15. sportsdrenched - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Part of being a good front office is realizing you screwed up and cutting that sunk cost from the roster as quickly as possible. Unlike another team in Missouri.

16. yankeepunk3000 - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

man for 5 million I would of given you atleast 65 horrible plate appearances and one dug out brawl with racist slers. You missed out Cards!!! I would of made you infamous!!!!!

• sportsdrenched - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Damn right, I remember everyone making fun of Tim Tebow because he made some quip about being good with being a 3rd string QB and a bunch of people who never played football beyond HSJV started making fun of him.

To which, how many of those people would trade their regular jobs to play football for a living…even if it wasn’t as a starter?

Same thing here. I’ll sit on the bench and make terrible PA once or twice a week for the league minimum & travel first class on road trips if I could get that gig.

17. missingdiz - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I might be putting my neck on the block. But there are a lot of things about the current business of baseball that I don’t understand. E.g., why give up Schumaker and take on Wigginton? Nobody really knew how well Carpenter would turn out (and I’m really glad about how he did turn out). But why Wigginton? Adams was waiting in the wings if help was needed at first. Descalso is invaluable as super-sub. What we need is one more starter and, I expect some heat over this, a shortstop. I don’t see how Wigginton ever fit in any conceivable plan.

18. officialgame - Jul 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

The guy flat out blows. Carl’t hit, hit with power, run, or field. A five tool, tool.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3733)