Jul 9, 2013, 10:29 PM EST
As first reported by beat reporter Nick Camino of Cleveland’s Newsradio WTAM 1100, the Indians will call up 23-year-old right-hander Danny Salazar to make his major league debut in a spot start Thursday afternoon against the Blue Jays.
Salazar has posted a promising 3.08 ERA and 1.11 WHIP across 17 starts this season between Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus, striking out 100 batters and issuing only 23 walks in 76 innings.
Salazar will likely be optioned back to Columbus after the outing. Trevor Bauer was in consideration for the assignment but is still struggling with his command in the minors.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)