Jul 9, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
As first reported by beat reporter Nick Camino of Cleveland’s Newsradio WTAM 1100, the Indians will call up 23-year-old right-hander Danny Salazar to make his major league debut in a spot start Thursday afternoon against the Blue Jays.
Salazar has posted a promising 3.08 ERA and 1.11 WHIP across 17 starts this season between Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus, striking out 100 batters and issuing only 23 walks in 76 innings.
Salazar will likely be optioned back to Columbus after the outing. Trevor Bauer was in consideration for the assignment but is still struggling with his command in the minors.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)