Jul 9, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
As first reported by beat reporter Nick Camino of Cleveland’s Newsradio WTAM 1100, the Indians will call up 23-year-old right-hander Danny Salazar to make his major league debut in a spot start Thursday afternoon against the Blue Jays.
Salazar has posted a promising 3.08 ERA and 1.11 WHIP across 17 starts this season between Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus, striking out 100 batters and issuing only 23 walks in 76 innings.
Salazar will likely be optioned back to Columbus after the outing. Trevor Bauer was in consideration for the assignment but is still struggling with his command in the minors.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)