Jul 9, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Mets ace Matt Harvey is battling blisters on his pitching hand. It may cause the Mets to skip his next start, reports the New York Post. This could also impact his availability for the All-Star Game, although which way it cuts is hard to say.
He was scheduled to pitch on Sunday, which would have limited him to one inning of All-Star Game duty. If the blisters are fixed by the skipped start, however, he could then pitch more in the All-Star Game than he otherwise would have. On the other hand, the blisters may be enough to knock him out of the All-Star Game entirely. That plus a skipped start would give him a nice break, actually. And in a season where the Mets aren’t competing for anything meaningful, why not rest your future a bit more?
All-Star opportunity or one of the many All-Star injuries — real or otherwise — we’ll see this week? Guess we’ll know eventually.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)