Jul 9, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Lyon’s contract only included $750,000 in upfront money, plus a bunch of relative inexpensive incentives based on his workload, so if any team truly wanted him a waiver wire wouldn’t have been very risky.
Lyon had a 4.98 ERA in 34 innings for the Mets while flashing decreased velocity, but posted a 3.10 ERA and 63/20 K/BB ratio in 61 innings for the Astros and Blue Jays last season and the 33-year-old right-hander has generally been a solid setup man.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)