Jul 9, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Lyon’s contract only included $750,000 in upfront money, plus a bunch of relative inexpensive incentives based on his workload, so if any team truly wanted him a waiver wire wouldn’t have been very risky.
Lyon had a 4.98 ERA in 34 innings for the Mets while flashing decreased velocity, but posted a 3.10 ERA and 63/20 K/BB ratio in 61 innings for the Astros and Blue Jays last season and the 33-year-old right-hander has generally been a solid setup man.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)