Jul 9, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Lyon’s contract only included $750,000 in upfront money, plus a bunch of relative inexpensive incentives based on his workload, so if any team truly wanted him a waiver wire wouldn’t have been very risky.
Lyon had a 4.98 ERA in 34 innings for the Mets while flashing decreased velocity, but posted a 3.10 ERA and 63/20 K/BB ratio in 61 innings for the Astros and Blue Jays last season and the 33-year-old right-hander has generally been a solid setup man.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27