Jul 9, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Lyon’s contract only included $750,000 in upfront money, plus a bunch of relative inexpensive incentives based on his workload, so if any team truly wanted him a waiver wire wouldn’t have been very risky.
Lyon had a 4.98 ERA in 34 innings for the Mets while flashing decreased velocity, but posted a 3.10 ERA and 63/20 K/BB ratio in 61 innings for the Astros and Blue Jays last season and the 33-year-old right-hander has generally been a solid setup man.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (81)