Jul 9, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Lyon’s contract only included $750,000 in upfront money, plus a bunch of relative inexpensive incentives based on his workload, so if any team truly wanted him a waiver wire wouldn’t have been very risky.
Lyon had a 4.98 ERA in 34 innings for the Mets while flashing decreased velocity, but posted a 3.10 ERA and 63/20 K/BB ratio in 61 innings for the Astros and Blue Jays last season and the 33-year-old right-hander has generally been a solid setup man.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 1
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 26
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 23
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 15
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 12
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)